- 9 Tbl butter, unsalted and melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 xl eggs. room temperature
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup corn meal, fine crumb
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbl honey, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350F, rack in the middle. Spray a 9×9 glass baking pan, set aside.
- In a bowl, add the buttermilk and corn meal. Stir to combine and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together 8 Tbl melted butter and sugar.
- Add in the eggs and 3 Tbl honey and whisk until combined.
- In another bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Pour the milk/cornmeal mixture into the egg mixture and stir with a large spoon.
- Once combined, add in the dry mixture and stir just until combined. You don’t want to over mix it to form gluten.
- Pour the mixture in the prepared pan and bake for 28-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- While the pan is still hot, pour the remaining 1 Tbl of melted butter evenly over top.
- Next drizzle on the remaining 3 Tbl of honey and allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Store in an air tight container.
It is totally acceptable to drizzle more honey and or butter on top once it’s done baking. Go with what you like!