- 28 ounce can tomato puree
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh banana peppers, stem and seeds removed
- 1/2–3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1–2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil starts to shimmer add the onions and banana peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Next add in the tomato paste, blend to incorporate and cook for 3-5 minutes or until you can “smell” the tomato paste start to warm up.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a low boil and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust for seasonings. At this point, you can leave chunky or for a smoother consistency use an immersion blender.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.