- 1 – 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (really depends on how sweet you like your relish)
- 1/3 cup cranberry juice (or can use orange juice)
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1– 2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (the more you add, the hotter the heat)
- 1/2–3/4 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 strips cooked, crispy bacon minced
- 16 ounce bag fresh cranberries
- In a large, heavy saucepan, add sugar, juice, bourbon, red pepper flakes, cinnamon and grated ginger.
- Cook, stirring often, until sugar dissolves, syrup is clear and comes to a rolling boil, about 3 minutes.
- In a colander, rinse and pick over the cranberries to remove any mushy ones.
- Add cranberries to boiling syrup and continue cooking, uncovered, just until they begin to pop, about 2-5 minutes (set the timer). Be careful not to cook them too long or they will get mushy.
- Skim the foam off the surface with a metal spoon and discard.
- Remove from heat, stir in minced bacon and cool to room temperature, uncovered.
- Once cooled, store in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for later.