- 4lb boneless Boston Pork Butt/pork shoulder
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounce can Coke, not diet
- 1 1/2 cup Chipotle Maple BBQ Sauce (or any tangy bbq sauce)
- 1/2 cup water
- Set your pressure cooker to the browning/saute cycle if electric. For the gas pressure cooker put the heat to medium-high.Pat the pork dry and set aside. In a small bowl whisk together the chipotle powder, smoked paprika, onion and garlic powders, salt, and pepper. Rub the mixture all over the pork. Add the oil to your pressure cooker.
- Once the oil shimmers gently add the pork into the pot and sear on all sides until a crust has formed. ~5-8 minutes per side. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside.
- In the pot add 1/2 cup of Coke and the chopped onions. Cook for 4 minutes, scraping down the pan with a wooden spoon to get up all of the charred bits on the bottom. Add in the rest of the coke, water, BBQ sauce, and brown sugar. Give it a quick stir.
- Place the meat in, close the lid (turn the gas to high if using a gas PC), and set the timer to 75 minutes on high. My gas PC beeps to tell me when it’s at temperature then the heat is reduced to low to maintain pressure. For the Instant Pot set it to either Meat/Stew with pressure high and the time to 75 minutes or hit Pressure Cook, High Pressure and time 75 minutes. Allow to release naturally.
- Turn on the broiler and line a pan with foil and set a cooling rack in it. Remove the pork from the pot and set it on top of the cooling rack..
- Bring the sauce to a boil (using the saute function) and allow to reduce slightly to thicken, stirring occasionally. Cook until the sauce reduces and coats the back of the spoon with a moderating coating. Transfer the sauce to a quart jar. Remember the sauce will thicken up upon cooling.
- Brush some of the sauce over top of the pork. Place the pork under the broiler and broil for 5-8 minutes until it starts to lightly char. Move the pork around broiling all sides if desired.
- Remove the pork from the oven. To make pulled pork simply shred it with 2 forks or put it into a mixer with a paddle attachment to shred quickly. Drizzle in as much or as little BBQ sauce as you’d like. To serve as slices, allow to cool slightly to slice – be sure to slice against the grain.
If you want to make this in a slow cooker, sear the meat first then add all of the ingredients plus an additional cup of water to at least a 6 quart slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.