- 1 cup chopped cooked turkey (tenderloin) (omit if going vegetarian) *Note
- 1 cup plain mashed sweet potato, warmed *can use mashed cauliflower for keto)
- 1/2 cup minced carrots
- 1 medium shallot, minced (can use 2 Tbl minced red onion)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers (chop small)
- 1/2 cup spinach (fresh), rough chopped
- 2–3 tsp Sriracha
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 1 XL egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup panko (regular will work)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Sriracha Honey Butter Glaze
- 5 Tbl butter, unsalted
- 2–3 Tbl honey (go with a keto substitute for this)
- 1–2 Tbl Sriracha
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- Preheat oven to 375F, rack in the middle. Line a rimmed baking pan with foil and liberally spray with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add all of the smashball ball ingredients and mix to combine. Wet your hands (trust me on this!). Using a medium-large (go with your preference for size) ice cream scoop, scoop out the mixture into your hands. Gently form into a ball. The mixture will be wet and soft but hold a shape. If it will not hold a shape, add a few Tbl more panko. Don’t add too much more as you’re not making a meatloaf. You just want them to be able to hold the ball shape. Place on the prepared pan and repeat.
- Drizzle/mist olive oil over top each ball and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the smashballs have formed a ‘crust’ and are firm to the touch but have give if pushed. Remove from the pan from the oven and allow to cool on the pan. If you try to remove them immediately they will fall apart. These are super tender but will firm up once they start to cool. Cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Use a thin spatula or blade to remove the smashballs from the pan and plate.
- To make the sauce, add the butter, honey, Sriracha and red pepper flakes to a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir until the butter melts. Remove from the heat, add in the salt and parsley. Taste for sweetness/heat. I prefer 3 Tbl honey with 1 1/2 Tbl Sriracha.
- Serve on a grilled street taco, add shredded lettuce/cabbage/carrots/zucchini, place a smashball, drizzle with glaze and pull up the sides of the street taco gently “smashing” the ball.
1. If you want you could use cooked chicken if you didn’t have turkey.
2. Want to make them vegetarian? Omit the turkey and replace with chopped zucchini/squash/broccoli/cauliflower/beans – white beans are AMAZING in this!
3. Vegan? – Omit the cheese/egg/meat and go with tofu/egg substitute, nutritional yeast.