- Preheat the oven to 350F, rack in the middle. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, cocoa and espresso powder; set aside., In another bowl beat together the brown sugar, chocolate extract, whole egg and egg yolk til creamy (a hand mixer works fine for this or you can use a stand mixer). Add in the flour mixture and mix just until blended. Add in the butter and mix just until incorporated. Scrape off the beaters as you don’t want to lose any cookie batter!
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix together with a spatula. Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop out the cookie dough. With damp hands, place the cookie dough in your hand and gently shape to a ball. Place on to the prepared pans leaving a 1” space. Normal sized pans get 12-16 per tray.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes or until the cookie is set but still slightly soft. They will firm up while cooling. Place the tray on a cooling rack and immediately top with chocolate chips gently pushing them into the cookie. Try not to deflate them. Allow to cool on the pan for at least 5 minutes before transferring to the cooling rack to cool completely. Do not force them off of the tray.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.