- 1 28 ounce can Redpack Whole Peeled Plum Tomatoes in Puree, drained *save the liquid for a future dish
- 1 12-14” longloaf of crusty Italian or French bread, sliced into 1/2” slices
- 3–5 Tbl Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4–1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2–3/4 Garlic herb cheese spread (*see note for using whole milk ricotta)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment; set aside. In a small bowl whisk together the salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, dried oregano, and basil.
- Cut each Redpack Whole Peeled Plum tomato in half. Place cut-side up on one of the baking sheets. Drizzle 2 Tbl olive oil over top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle the herb seasoning over top each tomato. Place the pan in the oven and roast for 35-45 minutes or until the tomatoes have started to shrink and caramelize around the edges. Their color will turn a deeper red, almost scarlet color. Remove from the oven, place the tomatoes and juices in a serving bowl. Turn the temperature up to 400F.
- Slice the bread on an angle to get elongated slices. Brush one side lightly with olive oil and place on the other baking sheet. Bake the bread for 6-8 minutes or until the tops start to toast lightly. Remove from the oven, brush the other side with the remaining oil and bake for another 5-7 minutes. Remove from the oven when done.
- To assemble, slather 1-2 Tbl of the garlic herb cheese spread on the crostini. Top with a few fresh basil leaves, 1-2 roasted tomatoes, a few toasted pine nuts and, if desired a drizzle of the roasted tomato liquid.
- Can be served hot or room temperature.
To make your own Herbed Ricotta Cheese Spread:
- 3/4 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic
- 1/2 tsp EACH dried oregano, dried basil, kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- In a bowl add the ricotta, olive oil, roasted garlic, and Parmesan cheese and whip on medium with an electric mixer til creamy. Stir in the rest ingredients. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.