- 2 lbs red potatoes, cubed (skin on or off, your choice)
- 8 Tbl butter, unsalted – divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt (plus more for taste)
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 4 whole green onions, chopped and divided
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbl olive oil
Make the Potatoes
- Place the potatoes in a deep pot and cover with cold water. You want the potatoes to be covered with 1-2” of water. Place the pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil and add 1 tsp salt. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until a fork easily pierces into the potatoes with no resistance. Drain the potatoes in large colander. Place in a large bowl and add the cream cheese. Add 7Tbl butter and milk to the now empty potato pot and heat up til the butter is melted and the mixture is warmed. Pour the mixture over the potatoes and cream cheese. Mash the potatoes until they are creamy. If they appear a bit thick add in a few Tbl of milk until desired consistency. Add in the pepper and stir in. Taste and add more salt if needed. Set to the side and allow to cool for about 25 minutes.
Make the caramelized onions
- In a large, heavy bottom skillet while the potatoes are cooking add 1 Tbl of butter and 1 Tbl of olive oil. Once melted add in the onions and stir to combine. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of salt on top and stir on. Cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring to prevent burning. The onions should wilt down and start to turn a deep caramel color. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for 25 minutes.
Assemble & Bake the pizza
- Preheat the oven to 550F. Place 1 rack in the middle and 1 rack bottom position (only do this if using a pizza screen and also do not put the rack on the oven floor). If you’re using a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet, add that to the middle rack.
- While the oven is heating up, to the potatoes add 1 cup each of mozzarella cheddar, half of the onion mixture and 2 chopped green onions. Mix to combine. It should be thick and but able to be spread out.
- Stretch out each dough ball (unless you’re making one large pizza) on a very lightly floured surface (trying not to work it too much as you want the ‘gas’ left it in – that’s what causes the bubbles and crispy airiness of the dough). * The dough ball will make 1 very large 18-20″ pizza. If you want smaller, split the dough ball in half. If using a pizza screen (2-10″ or 18″ screen), place the stretched dough onto the screen. If not, place the dough on a cornmeal or semolina dusted parchment paper before topping.
- Divide the potato filling and spread half out onto the dough, leaving a 1/2” space all the way around. Next add half of the remaining cheese over top of the potatoes and then half of the caramelized onions on top of that. Place the pizza into the oven. If using a pizza screen, place on the bottom rack for 7 minutes and then transfer to the middle rack (with or without screen) to finish off the baking (2-3 minutes). To do this use a Pizza peel as it’s easiest! If using a pizza stone or pan bake for 8-10 minutes (a pizza paddle is crucial here!), checking the crust as it should be slightly charred and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes before cutting. Garnish with remaining green onions and crispy fried onions before serving.