- Three 5 ounce cans of albacore tuna in water, drained
- 16 ounces German Egg Spaetzle Farmer-Style noodles or wide egg noodles, cooked al dente
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon dill
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese, divided *optional
- 1 sleeve of Ritz Crackers, crushed like coarse crumbs
- 4 tablespoon butter, unsalted and melted
- Preheat the oven to 350F, rack in the middle. Butter a 9×13” casserole dish. Set aside. In a heavy bottom large pot over medium heat add in 1 tablespoon of oil. When the oil starts to shimmer add the 1 cup of chopped mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to give up some of their liquid, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add in the garlic, shallots, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Cook until the shallots are soft. About 3-5 minutes. Add in the cooked mushrooms. Add in the broth and simmer for one minute. Decrease the heat to medium-low. Make a slurry of the cornstarch and cream in a cup. Add to the mushroom mixture. Cook until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, approximately 6 to 8 minutes. Add in the dill and taste for seasoning. If using the cheese, add 1 cup of the cheese to the sauce and stir to melt.
- To the pot, add in the cooked noodles and tuna. Mix gently to combine. Pour the mixture into the buttered casserole dish and spread out evenly. If using the cheese, sprinkle the remaining cheese over top. In a separate bowl, mix the crushed cracker crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle the buttered cracker crumbs over top and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cracker crumbs are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
1-2 scoops5142.7 g795.1 mg30 g34.5 g26.5 g107 mg