- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/2 tsp Redstar Platinum instant yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups water (room temp)
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated onion
- 2 Tbl plus 2 tsp dried, minced onions, divided
- 2 tsp hot water
- In a large bowl add in the flour, yeast, granulated onion and 2 Tbl of dried onions, and salt. You need to make sure the bowl is at least 2 times the size as this will easily double in volume. Whisk to combine. Add in the water and mix with a wooden spoon – do NOT use a stand mixer. Mix it until it’s combined and forms a ‘shaggy’ dough. Just make sure that all the flour is incorporated. It will not be a smooth dough – that’s how it’s supposed to be.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place overnight for at least 12 hours but no more than 24.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat your oven. Put the rack in the middle and preheat to 450F. Let this heat up for about 45 minutes.
- Mix the remaining 2 tsp of dried, minced onions with 2 tsp of hot water. Gently stir and set aside. Place the dough out a lightly floured board and gently shape it into a rectangle ~12×8”. Fold one third over and the other third on top (like an envelope). Gently start to roll it with your hands into a log that’s ~12×4”. Pinch the seams together. For the ends just tuck them under and pinch to seal. *See note if you’re not using the Emile Henry Italian Loaf Bread Baker about shaping and baking in a Dutch oven.
- To the Emile Henry Italian Loaf Bread Baker, sprinkle in a tablespoon or two of flour in the bottom to help the dough remove easily after baking. Place the loaf in the baker. Take the re-hydrated dried onion mixture and sprinkle on top of the loaf. Cover and set aside while the oven heats up.
- Right before putting your bread in the oven, turn the temperature down to 425F, put the loaf pan into the oven (covered) and bake for 40 minutes, remove the lid and bake for another 15 or until golden brown and the internal temp reaches 200F.
- Remove from the oven and carefully empty the loaf onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool before slicing.
- Store the bread in the Emile Henry Bread Box. It will stay fresh for ~3-5 days.