- 2 pounds fresh black mission figs, stemmed and quartered
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup honey or agave
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6–7 sprigs of fresh thyme (lemon thyme preferably) or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoon – 1 tablespoon Calabrian Chili Pepper Paste *this really depends on how spicy/hot you want it
- In a medium pot, add the sugar, honey, figs, lemon juice, fresh thyme, and chili pepper paste over medium-high heat slowly stirring to combine while the sugar melts.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium/medium-low and allow it to cook until it’s reduced and thickened, ~35-45 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes or so to prevent sticking or burning.
- Once the mixture has reduced (remember it will thicken up while it cools), remove it from the heat, carefully fish out the thyme sprig stems. At this point, you can use an immersion blender to smooth it out before transferring it to an air-tight container.
- Store in the fridge for roughly 2-3 weeks.