- 3 large Gala apples
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/4 plus 2 Tablespoons chopped, toasted pecans
- 2/3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1–2 Tablespoons of bourbon
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, VERY SOFT
- 1/4 cup dried craisins
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- 1 cup room temperature water
Rehydrate the craisins
- Place the craisins in a heat safe bowl and pour over the boiling water. Cover with plastic wrap tightly and allow to set for 10-15 minutes to rehydrate them. After they are plumped, strain the liquid and discard.
Preheat the smoker/grill/oven
- Set up your Yoder Smokers YS640 with the pizza oven accessory and set the temperature to 375. Allow to heat up while you prep the rest of the dish.
Make the streusel
- In a large bowl add all of the flour, pecans, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, maple syrup, bourbon, and rehydrated craisins. Add in the very soft butter and with either clean hands or a fork, press the butter into the oat mixture until it forms clumps and coated crumbs.
Prep the apples
- Using an apple core tool, core the apples then cut in half. Using a mini cookie scoop , scoop out the center of each half to make a well indent. Brush each cut side of the apple with lemon juice. Place each apple, cut side up, in a 10″ cast iron skillet or heat-safe baking pan.
- Evenly divide the streusel mixture on top of each apple, pressing it down into the well and on top of the apple. Pour the 1 cup of room temp water into the bottom of the pan and cover the pan tightly with foil.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes. Turn the pan around about half way through baking. Carefully pull the hot pan out of the oven, remove the foil and, if need be, add more water to the dish. Put the pan back in the oven and bake 10-20 minutes or until the streusel is golden brown and the apples are tender.
- Remove from the oven, plate, top with vanilla ice cream and butterscotch sauce.