- 2 cups flour, sifted (yes, sift it!)
- 1 Tbl plus 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 2 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 cup red pepper, cubed
- 1/4cup onion, cubed
- 1 Tbl garlic, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1–2 Tbl fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbl Chicken Taco Seasoning
- 1/4 lime juiced
- 1 Tbl flour
- 3 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 Tbl soft butter
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in the butter to resemble coarse cornmeal.
- Add the milk and quickly stir to gather dough into a ball.
- Divide the balls to where one is slightly bigger than the other (this will be used for the base).
- Lightly cover with plastic wrap.
- Heat the oil in medium heat.
- Add the peppers and onions to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, cilantro, cumin, salt, pepper, taco seasoning and smoked paprika.
- Cook for 3 minutes, stirring to incorporate the spices.
- Add in the lime juice and stir.
- Continue cooking for 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Add in the beans and stir.
- Making a spot in the middle of the juices, add in the flour and stir to combine, cooking the flour for 1 minute or 2.
- Add in the cream cheese and butter and gently combine, turning the heat off.
- Lightly spray a 9″ removable bottom tart pan.
- Roll out the larger dough and line the bottom and up/over the top slightly.
- Lay the cheese on the bottom crust and spread out evenly.
- Add all of the chicken mixture and top with the remaining pie crust.
- Gently pinch the top crust with the bottom crust to ensure a seal.
- Slit 2 holes in the top of the crust.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the biscuit crust is done.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tart pan.
If you don’t want to make the crust from scratch you can also use 1 roll of buttermilk flaky biscuits (just pat them down and lay them into the tart pan pressing the edges together)