- 1 cup “fed” Sourdough Starter
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 Tbl sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 cups High-Gluten Flour or Bread Flour
- 1 egg beaten with 1 Tbl water
- *Artisan toppings: equal parts toasted sesame seeds, baby sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, caraway seeds, flax seeds
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the Sourdough starter, water, yeast, sugar, salt and flour. Combine all of the ingredients until a smooth dough forms. Remove the dough from the mixer and place in a sprayed bowl. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled in size ~ 90 minutes or so.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured board. Divide in half and shape into 2 oval loaves. On a large baking sheet, add sprayed parchment and place the loaves on on it leaving a 4″space between the two loaves. Cover until they both are doubled and puffy. ~1 hour
- While the bread is proofing place one rack in the middle and one in the lower third. On that oven place an empty metal pan (a 9X13″ metal pan works fine).
- When the loaves are doubled, preheat the oven to 425°F. To decorate, make a few deep in each loaf; a serrated bread knife, works well. Brush each loaf with the egg wash. Sprinkle 2-3 Tbl of the Artisan topping on top.
- Spritz the bread with water (not necessary but it helps with a great crust). Fill a cup or container with 1 cup of hot water. Place the bread on the middle rack. As fast you can, pour the 1 cup of very hot water in the 9×13″ metal pan and close the oven door!
- Bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the pans half-way through. *Note: If you make smaller loaves, they will be done in 15-20 minutes. Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.