- 2 1-1 1/2” thick cuts New York Steak, fat trimmed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1–2 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Pat the steaks dry. Add 1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire to the one side. Add half of the seasoning and press down. Flip the steak and add the remaining Worcestershire and seasoning. All to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400f. Place a cast-iron pan or stainless (oven-safe) pan (NOT NON STICK!), over medium-high heat. Drizzle the olive oil onto the steak and flip to get all sides coated.
- When the pan is super hot (add a few drops of water to it. If they dance around and evaporate almost immediately then you’re good!) add the steaks. DO NOT FLIP yet.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until a good crust forms.
- Flip over and immediately shut off the heat to the pan. Working fast, add the sprigs of thyme and pats of butter on top. Put the pan into the oven. *NOTE – This step should take you MAYBE 5-10 seconds at most. This is why it says “working fast”.
- Cook per the ‘doneness’ in the Notes field. When done, remove the pan from the oven and plate the steak.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
See below for times:
Very Rare 4-5 minutes
Rare 5-6 minutes
Medium Rare 6-8 minutes
Medium 7-10 minutes
Well done Not Recommended