- 2 1-1 1/2” thick cuts New York Steak, fat trimmed
- 1 Tbl Worcestershire
- 1–2 Tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 Tbl butter, unsalted
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 Tbl Olive Oil
- Pat the steaks dry.
- Add 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire to the one side.
- Add half of the seasoning and press down.
- Flip the steak and add the remaining Worcestershire and seasoning.
- All to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400f.
- Place a cast iron pan or stainless (oven safe) pan (NOT NON STICK!), over medium high heat.
- Drizzle the olive oil onto the steak and flip to get all sides coated.
- When the pan is super hot (add a few drops of water to it. If they dance around and evaporate almost immediately then you’re good!) add the steaks. DO NOT FLIP yet.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until a good crust forms.
- Flip over and immediately shut off the heat to the pan.
- Working fast add the sprigs of thyme and pats of butter on top.
- Put the pan into the oven.
- Cook per the ‘doneness’ in the Notes field.
- When done, remove the pan from the oven and plate the steak.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
See below for times:
Very Rare 4-5 minutes
Rare 5-6 minutes
Medium Rare 6-8 minutes
Medium 7-10 minutes
Well done Not Recommended