For the burgers
- 4 6ounce Tilapia Fillets
- 1/2 cup Wheat Panko
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 Tbl Dijon
- 1 Tbl honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 green onion, minced (whites and greens)
- 1/4–1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (plus pinch of salt and pepper mixed in)
- 3 Tbl canola oil
Spicy Jalapeno Slaw
- 3 cups green cabbage, cut into thin strips
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 Tbl sugar
- 1 Tbl soy sauce (low sodium)
- 2 Tbl canola oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ground ginger
- 1 Tbl creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup peanuts (unsalted)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup red onions, minced
- 1–2 tsp minced jalapeno (depends on your spice tolerance)
- 1/2 tsp tabasco sauce
Prepare the slaw
- In a food processor and mix together the rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, canola oil, ginger, peanut butter, peanuts, lime juice, garlic, tabasco sauce.
- In a bowl, mix the cabbage, carrots, jalapeno and onions together.
- Pour the liquid mixture over top and add the salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours though overnight is best.
Prepare the burgers
- In a food processor, pulse tilapia until chopped.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients except the cornstarch and canola oil.
- Using a spoon, mix until well combined.
- Heat a 12” round non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the canola oil.
- In a pie plate, add the cornstarch plus a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend to incorporate.
- Using either your hands or a large spoon, scoop out a 2-3” round ball and gently flatten it out to 2” round by 1” high.
- Place the patty in the cornstarch mixture and coat all sides, shaking off the excess. You should get 4-5 slider size patties.
- Place the Tilapia patties in the oil and cook for 3-4 minutes per side (or when each side is golden brown). These cook relatively fast.
- To serve, place on a toasted sesame seed slider bun then add 2-3 heaping Tbl of Spicy Jalapeno Slaw.