As you’ve probably noticed I’ve been on this slider/sammich kick lately. Other than loving them I think it’s because they are easy and fast. I’ve been super, super busy as of late and wanted something good but quick.
My local grocery store now carries this amazing tilapia and a ridiculous price. And while I have a bunch of recipes on here for tilapia:
I wanted something different. I’m banking on this slider with the spicy slaw definitely fits the bill. I absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED this! The texture is super awesome (very burger-esque) and the slaw adds the heat and ‘crunch’ factor. This is a winner all the way around!
Just LOOK how amazing that is? It was so juicy that it needed nothing but bun and slaw!Print
For the burgers
- 4 6ounce Tilapia Fillets
- 1/2 cup Wheat Panko
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 green onion, minced (whites and greens)
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (plus pinch of salt and pepper mixed in)
- 3 tablespoon canola oil
Spicy Jalapeno Slaw
- 3 cups green cabbage, cut into thin strips
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup peanuts (unsalted)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup red onions, minced
- 1–2 teaspoon minced jalapeno (depends on your spice tolerance)
- 1/2 teaspoon tabasco sauce
Prepare the slaw
- In a food processor and mix together the rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, canola oil, ginger, peanut butter, peanuts, lime juice, garlic, tabasco sauce.
- In a bowl, mix the cabbage, carrots, jalapeno and onions together.
- Pour the liquid mixture over top and add the salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours though overnight is best.
Prepare the burgers
- In a food processor, pulse tilapia until chopped.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients except the cornstarch and canola oil.
- Using a spoon, mix until well combined.
- Heat a 12” round non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the canola oil.
- In a pie plate, add the cornstarch plus a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend to incorporate.
- Using either your hands or a large spoon, scoop out a 2-3” round ball and gently flatten it out to 2” round by 1” high.
- Place the patty in the cornstarch mixture and coat all sides, shaking off the excess. You should get 4-5 slider size patties.
- Place the Tilapia patties in the oil and cook for 3-4 minutes per side (or when each side is golden brown). These cook relatively fast.
- To serve, place on a toasted sesame seed slider bun then add 2-3 heaping tablespoon of Spicy Jalapeno Slaw.