- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbl garlic, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup whiskey (Jack)
- 4 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbl dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp espresso powder or 1⁄2 cup strong coffee
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbl Spice Rub *See Note
- 2 Tbl sea salt
- 1 Tbl celery salt
- 1 Tbl smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbl fresh black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 4 Tbl dark brown sugar
- Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottom pot over medium heat, and add the bacon.
- Cook, stirring, until the bacon is browned and crispy.
- Add the onion, garlic, tomato, and 2 Tbl spice rub mix and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until the onion begins to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients, and bring to a low simmer.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and allow to cool.
- Transfer to a covered container (I prefer glass) and store in the fridge.
The Spice Rub recipe makes more than what is called for in this recipe. I would recommend making a batch of it, measuring out what you need for the recipe and then putting the rest in a jar with a lid for later.