This is just…
words just can’t describe how amazing…
This sauce is sweet, spicy, tangy, zippy, bacon-y, it’s full bodied and robust.
In some upcoming recipes you’ll see just how I used this sauce… other than eating it straight off the spoon!
Look at these GORGEOUS BBQ Boneless Beef Short Rib Sliders!!! Tell me these don’t scream SHOVE ME IN YOUR FACE RIGHT NOW?!!!
Grilled Pizza (either on the bbq or indoors) with Shredded Beef Short Ribs and Bacon BBQ Sauce!
Like literally, I ate entire one myself!Print
- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbl garlic, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup whiskey (Jack)
- 4 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbl dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp espresso powder or 1⁄2 cup strong coffee
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbl Spice Rub *See Note
- 2 Tbl sea salt
- 1 Tbl celery salt
- 1 Tbl smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbl fresh black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 4 Tbl dark brown sugar
- Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottom pot over medium heat, and add the bacon.
- Cook, stirring, until the bacon is browned and crispy.
- Add the onion, garlic, tomato, and 2 Tbl spice rub mix and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until the onion begins to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients, and bring to a low simmer.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and allow to cool.
- Transfer to a covered container (I prefer glass) and store in the fridge.
The Spice Rub recipe makes more than what is called for in this recipe. I would recommend making a batch of it, measuring out what you need for the recipe and then putting the rest in a jar with a lid for later.