- 1lb ground chicken
- 1 scoop of Syntrax Nectar Apple Ecstasy Protein Powder
- 8 slices thick bacon, cooked until crispy, divided (turkey, veggie or regular)
- 1/4 cup yellow onion minced
- 1 large red delicious apple, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup) *see note
- 2 cups shredded smoked cheddar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1–2 Tbl canola oil
- Chop up 4 slices of the cooked bacon into small pieces.
- In a bowl add in the ground chicken, chopped bacon, onion, apple, 1 cup cheddar, Dijon mustard, black pepper, salt and protein powder.
- Gently mix the ingredients just until combined. Don’t over mix as this will toughen the burger.
- Heat a medium non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add in the canola oil.
- Divide the meat into 4 equal balls.
- Shape into 4 patties and indent one side (this prevents them from rounding up).
- Add the patties into the hot pan.
- Place the patties and do not move for 5-6 minutes. You may want to reduce the heat to medium low to prevent burning.
- Flip when the bottom has a caramelized brown crust.
- Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Top with the remaining cheese and cook for another 1-3 minutes (or until internal temperature is 155-160F) – it will continue to cook while it’s off the heat.
- Place on bun or lettuce wrap, top with remaining bacon.
Granny Smith Apples work beautifully in this recipe as well. It makes the burger have a more tart taste.
This recipe can easily be turned into meatballs, sliders, meatloaves, savory cupcakes, etc!