Fall is one of my favorite times of the year. To me, this is the time when God gets out his box of crayons and colors the world is the most beautiful colors. Apple orchards are producing some of the most amazing crops and where I live, apples are in mass abundance. I’m fortunate to live in the country to where I have access to a multitude types of apples. Huge, crisp and so sweet. Plus apples are super healthy for you! I mean ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away’ right *wink*
In the Spring, ever y Friday I showed you how to incorporate SI03‘s AMAZING Syntrax Protein Powders into various recipes albeit savory, desserts, breads, muffins, main meals, etc. I’m happy to say we’re back! I took the summer off, worked like a mad scientist in the kitchen to come up with even more awesome recipes that this time, push the limits on creativity using their powders. Just wait until you see some of the things I came up with! I’m truly excited over this!
Ever since I shared with you how to make my Protein Packed Apple Crisp with Syntrax Nectar Apple Ecstasy Protein Powder, I’ve been hooked on this flavor. Now this powder can be used in whole slew of sweet dishes that are yummy and healthy! This time around, I wanted to think outside of the box and use the same protein powder in a more savory manner.
What I love even more about this recipe is the versatility of it! You can take this same recipe and turn it into sliders, meatballs, meatloaves (individual or family sized), savory cupcakes – yes, cupcakes! The list goes on and on.
What I also love about this recipe is you don’t need the bun either! It’s Gluten Free! I made these for us – Mr. Fantabulous had the bun and I had mine wrapped in bib lettuce. This was so awesome folks! The shredded apple in the recipe makes the burger so juicy and tender! And hey, it has bacon! Yeah I know, ‘bacon is bad’ but you can totally go with turkey bacon, veggie bacon or good ol’ fashioned pig bacon. Heck you can omit it either but seriously… why? Bacon is its own food group! LOL As for the cheese, you can go vegan cheese or dairy cheese. Since the cheese is the only dairy in the recipe you can easily remove it out for dairy allergies or go with dairy free cheese.
The apple in here lends a gentle sweetness to the dish which marries beautifully with the Dijon mustard and bacon.
This seriously is quickly becoming my go-to burger when I want something savory, filling and most importantly… HEALTHY! Since I eat a very high protein diet adding this awesome protein powder into the mix with the chicken really boosts my numbers for protein intake.
So when it comes to your Syntrax Nectar Protein powders, think outside of the box. I’ve given you numerous recipes involving these awesome powders. Protein powders aren’t just for shakes anymore!
Look up our friends at SI03 and tell them The Kitchen Whisperer sent you!
- 1lb ground chicken
- 1 scoop of Syntrax Nectar Apple Ecstasy Protein Powder
- 8 slices thick bacon, cooked until crispy, divided (turkey, veggie or regular)
- 1/4 cup yellow onion minced
- 1 large red delicious apple, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup) *see note
- 2 cups shredded smoked cheddar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1–2 Tbl canola oil
- Chop up 4 slices of the cooked bacon into small pieces.
- In a bowl add in the ground chicken, chopped bacon, onion, apple, 1 cup cheddar, Dijon mustard, black pepper, salt and protein powder.
- Gently mix the ingredients just until combined. Don’t over mix as this will toughen the burger.
- Heat a medium non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add in the canola oil.
- Divide the meat into 4 equal balls.
- Shape into 4 patties and indent one side (this prevents them from rounding up).
- Add the patties into the hot pan.
- Place the patties and do not move for 5-6 minutes. You may want to reduce the heat to medium low to prevent burning.
- Flip when the bottom has a caramelized brown crust.
- Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Top with the remaining cheese and cook for another 1-3 minutes (or until internal temperature is 155-160F) – it will continue to cook while it’s off the heat.
- Place on bun or lettuce wrap, top with remaining bacon.
Granny Smith Apples work beautifully in this recipe as well. It makes the burger have a more tart taste.
This recipe can easily be turned into meatballs, sliders, meatloaves, savory cupcakes, etc!