- 4 slices whole grain bread, sliced 1/3-1/2” thick
- 4–8 ounces oven roasted turkey
- 4 thick slices of gouda
- 2 cups arugula
- 4 slices crispy bacon (turkey)
- 1/2 cup Apple Butter – See Note
- 1/4 cup Syntrax Nectars Sweets Fuzzy Navel Protein Powder
- Preheat Panini Press press.
- In a bowl combine the Apple Butter and protein powder until well blended. You could add the apple ecstasy powder instead but I found it to be too strong for my tastes. The fuzzy navel really balances out the flavors here and marries beautifully with the Panini.
- Lay one piece of bread down on a plate and spread out 1 Tbl of Protein spread on top.
- Top with 1 slice of gouda, half of the turkey, 2 strips of bacon, 1 more slice of cheese.
- On the bread that would go on top to complete the sandwich, spread 1 Tbl of protein spread and place, protein spread side down on top of the cheese.
- Repeat to make the 2nd sandwich.
- Place in the Panini press and cook for 3-5 minutes depending on how crispy you like yours. Mine went for about 4 minutes – just enough to get the cheese slightly melty.
- Remove, slice and enjoy!
If you’re not using homemade apple butter, this one is really good. It’s made literally with apples and apple concentrate.
To make this vegetarian I’d go with caramelized onions fresh mozzarella, basil and the spread. You could even opt for goat cheese for the the fresh mozzarella.
To change up the meats, go with a roasted ham slice, fresh peach slices, fontina and the spread.