It’s that time again to feature SI03 and their Syntrax Protein Powders in another protein packed recipe. Working with these protein powders just seems…natural. They fit perfectly into my baked goods with minimal tweaks. What’s a challenge is when you have the ‘sweeter’/fruity powders and want to incorporate them into a savory, non-treat/sweet dish. The Medical Unflavored protein powder is usually my go-to ‘flavor’ for those types of dishes. Where the challenge lies is using say the Fuzzy Navel Syntrax flavor in a savory dish… until now *grin*
Yeah, look at that Panini packed with fresh roasted turkey, tons of peppery arugula, smokey melted gouda and that dressing. That GLORIOUS Protein Packed dressing! Forget the cucka mayo (that stuff is nasty anyway). Skip the mustard and other spreads. This Protein Packed spread is literally 2 ingredients and while it seems totally simplistic, the flavor is anything but! I literally could not stop eating it! The combination of the Fuzzy Navel Protein powder with fresh organic Apple Butter was pure heaven! Yeah.. apple butter and peach protein powder… who would’ve thought?
This seriously was one of my more brilliant moments! and I’m truly proud of it! I have made this panini literally 4 times in the past 1.5 weeks. That’s how much I love this thing! This is packed with tons of protein, lots of vitamins and nutrients from the arugula (which is super good for you) and just enough carbs to help with that post work out meal.
Even if you don’t work out, this is truly one of the best paninis I have ever, EVER had in my life. Literally there is not one thing I would change about it. Well truth be told the only thing I changed up during the makings was the cheese. I tried it with pepper jack (which was great but a tad too hot for me) and also with sharp cheddar. Cheddar with apple anything is pure bliss but I’m still sticking with the Gouda here as the best cheese flavor with it. Though it’s totally your choice but I’d give that a try at least!
When I made the Apple Butter Fuzzy Navel Spread, I made a big batch of it (about 2 cups). This stuff keeps beautifully in the fridge (covered). I’m actually going to make some braised pork chops and use this spread as a topping for it – maybe add in some diced peaches too. I’ll let you know how that goes.
I am so excited to share this recipe with you guys. With Christmas season here and everyone and their mother making 10 bajillion Christmas cookies and treats, it’s hard to resist. Trust me, I’m in full swing right now with orders out the wazoo. Having this in my recipe box is a welcome addition! It helps keep me out of my fat pants while there are all those cookies around. Don’t get me wrong, I still have to partake *wink* but this panini is so filling and yummy that literally you’re going to crave this over that plate of ooey gooey chocolate chip cookies.
No really, you will.
… well at least for a few hours that is. LOL Hey, chocolate ooey gooey anything trumps all. Well except bacon. NOTHING TRUMPS BACON!
The thing is, this dish can be served for lunch, dinner, snack, finger food (just cut them smaller), as an appetizer, on your football buffet food table or that meal you want right after working out and feeling the burn!
Now you want to mix this up a bit, maybe go vegetarian? I would go with caramelized onions fresh mozzarella, basil and the spread. You could even opt for goat cheese for the the fresh mozzarella. You could also go with a roasted ham slice, fresh peach slices, fontina and the spread.
All I know folks is that you have to, no.. HAVE TO MAKE THIS Protein Packed Turkey Arugula Gouda Panini!!!Print
- 4 slices whole grain bread, sliced 1/3-1/2” thick
- 4–8 ounces oven roasted turkey
- 4 thick slices of gouda
- 2 cups arugula
- 4 slices crispy bacon (turkey)
- 1/2 cup Apple Butter – See Note
- 1/4 cup Syntrax Nectars Sweets Fuzzy Navel Protein Powder
- Preheat Panini Press press.
- In a bowl combine the Apple Butter and protein powder until well blended. You could add the apple ecstasy powder instead but I found it to be too strong for my tastes. The fuzzy navel really balances out the flavors here and marries beautifully with the Panini.
- Lay one piece of bread down on a plate and spread out 1 tablespoon of Protein spread on top.
- Top with 1 slice of gouda, half of the turkey, 2 strips of bacon, 1 more slice of cheese.
- On the bread that would go on top to complete the sandwich, spread 1 tablespoon of protein spread and place, protein spread side down on top of the cheese.
- Repeat to make the 2nd sandwich.
- Place in the Panini press and cook for 3-5 minutes depending on how crispy you like yours. Mine went for about 4 minutes – just enough to get the cheese slightly melty.
- Remove, slice and enjoy!
If you’re not using homemade apple butter, this one is really good. It’s made literally with apples and apple concentrate.
To make this vegetarian I’d go with caramelized onions fresh mozzarella, basil and the spread. You could even opt for goat cheese for the the fresh mozzarella.
To change up the meats, go with a roasted ham slice, fresh peach slices, fontina and the spread.