- 2 cups cooked potatoes (boiled) and cooled
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup milk or chicken stock, warmed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 2 teaspoon parsley, divided
- 1/2 cup Panko or Gluten Free Panko
- 1/2 cup unseasoned (gluten-free or regular) bread crumbs *See note on how to make gluten-free bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 cups cooked leftover chicken, chopped small (I recommend roasted chicken. Do not just use boiled chicken as that doesn’t have enough flavor)
- Olive oil
- Pan gravy from roasted chicken for dipping
- In a bowl place the potatoes, butter, milk, salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon parsley. Mash to desired consistency – I left some chunks. I would not make it super creamy as you want to texture. To the potatoes add the chicken and shallots; stir to combine. Next, add in 1 egg and 1/4 cup unseasoned bread crumbs. Mix to combine. The mixture should be sticky but not runny.
- Cover and chill for at least 1-2 hours. You want it to be cold so you can form it.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 450F with a rack in the middle. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and lightly spray.
- In a pie plate beat the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water. In a second pie plate add in the panko and remaining unseasoned bread crumbs and 1 teaspoon parsley; mix to combine. Make an assembly line starting with the croquette mixture, egg and then breadcrumbs with the baking sheet at the end.
- Measure 1/4 cup of the mixture and form into croquettes (long cylinders about 2” or you can make into balls).
- Dip, coating all sides, in the egg mixture. Place in the breadcrumbs and coat evenly. Place on the baking sheet and repeat making the rest of the croquettes. Generously spray (or lightly drizzle) olive oil on the croquettes. Do not soak them but you should be able to see the oil glisten on the breadcrumbs. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Place the oven to broil and broil for 2-3 minutes on each side to get super crunchy. *To flip gently use tongs along the long side of the croquettes and flip. Remove from the oven and serve with pan gravy from the leftover roasted chicken as a dipping sauce.
To make Gluten Free Breadcrumbs, follow my recipe on how to make Gluten Free Panko breadcrumbs but instead of only pulsing 10-12 times, pulse 13-18 times. You don’t a powder but you want it smaller than panko size.