- 5 cups bbq sauce (not honey)
- 1 cup whiskey
- 1 cup water
- 3 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup molasses, not blackstrap
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Best Pizza Dough
- 12–16 ounces cubed cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbl unsalted melted butter
Make the Pork
- Rinse and pat dry the pork.
- Generously rub the spice rub all over the meat.
- Place, fat side up in the crock pot.
- Add enough water just so it comes up 1” high.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low.
- When done, remove from the pot using tongs.
- Allow to drain slightly.
- Place the pork in a serving bowl and using 2 forks, shred the meat to desired chunk size.
Make the BBQ Sauce
- While the pork is cooking in a medium sauce pan whisk together the bbq sauce, whiskey, water, smoke, paprika, onion powder, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer stirring occasionally until thickened. ~30 minutes.
Dress the Shredded Pork
- Pour 2-2 1/2 cups of the bbq sauce on top and gently mix. You don’t want to soak it in the sauce but rather just get it infused with the flavors. It should be just wet.
Make the Puffs
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Lightly spray a 9×13” metal pan and then line with parchment (leaving a 1” overhang).
- Spray the parchment paper, sprinkle about 2 Tbl of cornmeal over top and set the pan aside.
- Pinch off a 2×2” round piece of dough and flatten on a lightly floured board to a 4” round circle.
- Place 1/4 cup of the pulled pork in the center.
- Top with a chunk of cheese and drizzle about a tsp of additional bbq sauce on top.
- Place in the center of the dough and gently pull up the edges to form a purse.
- Gently pinch the ends together and tuck into itself until tightly sealed.
- Place seam side down in the pan.
- Repeat until all the dough is used up – you’ll place the dough balls side by side. It’s okay that they touch barely but don’t overcrowd as they will expand.
- In a bowl mix together the mustard and melted butter.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops with the melted butter.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until the tops golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve with additional bbq sauce on the side.