- 4 lbs chicken wings, halved at joints, wingtips discarded (save for stock)
- 1 tbl baking powder (not needed if using the Instant Pot)
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp onion powder
6 Tbl melted butter
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and set rack inside. Carefully dry chicken wings with paper towels. Place wings in a bag, add the baking powder and 1 tsp salt. Shake evenly.
- Remove the wings from the bag and place them on the rack, leaving slight space between each wing. Place baking sheet with wings in the refrigerator and allow to rest, uncovered, at least 8 hours. This draws out the moisture. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Add chicken wings and cook for 20 minutes. Flip wings and continue to cook until crisp and golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes longer. Remove the wings from the oven and place the oven to broil.
- In an 8-quart pressure cooker, add the wings, 1 tsp salt and 1 1/2 cups chicken stock. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes and then perform a quick release. While the wings are cooking make the sauce per the directions above. Line a rimmed pan with foil and place a cooling rack on top. Lightly spray the rack. Set the oven to broil with the oven rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Gently remove the wings from the pressure cooker with tongs and place on the rack; discard the cooking liquid. Place the wings in the oven and broil for 5 minutes each side.
- Remove the pan from the oven and slather on some sauce. Return to the broiler for 5 minutes. Flip the wings over, cover with more sauce and broil for 5 more minutes or until they are nicely charred.
- Place the sauce in a container for serving.
Garlic Butter Herb Sauce
- In a medium bowl mix together the butter, onion powder, cayenne, oregano, basil, garlic, black pepper, and salt.
- Add the cooked wings to the sauce and place back them back on the baking rack and into the oven to broil for a minute or two for each side.
- While the wings are broiling, add the cheese to the butter sauce and whisk.
- Remove from the wings from the oven and toss again in the butter sauce.
- Plate and enjoy!