- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 1 Tbl garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 16 ounce cans Northern White Beans, rinsed and divided
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 XL egg
- 1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen/thawed corn
- 3/4 cup roasted red pepper cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup cream of wheat or rice powder (or can use 1/2 cup coarsely ground oats)
- 3 green onions, minced (white and green parts)
- Preheat oven to 350F, rack in the middle. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal or just lightly spray. In a bowl mash 1 entire can of beans with a potato masher.
- To the bowl add the egg and mix just until combined. Add in the garlic, shallots, green onions, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, corn and red peppers. Gently mix. Add in the cream of wheat and mix well. Add in the remaining beans and mix well with your hands. Check for seasoning and season to taste. If the mixture is too mushy to form into patties, add a little more cream of wheat. The mixture should hold a shape when formed. Shape mixture into four to six large burgers.
- Place on the cornmeal covered parchment paper and lightly spray with olive oil. Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Flip, lightly spray and bake for another 12-15 minutes or until golden browned.
- Serve or store the remaining covered in the fridge.
I garnished mine with melted Chihuahua Cheese and baby arugula.