- 65–70 Potato Tots (almost a full bag), thawed
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped ham slices (can also use crispy bacon)
- 5 slices cheddar cheese (or any cheese of choice)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F, rack in the middle.
- Spray a 9″ Springform Pan with cooking spray (can use 9” if that’s all you have). Line the bottom of the pan with tater tots. Make sure they are packed tight. Use the bottom of a flat glass or measuring cup and press down to form a crust. Next, going around the edge of the pan stand up the tater tots to form the crust. Depending on the height of your pan 1 row or two may be needed. Using the edge of the measuring cup, press the tater tots together on the sides to form a tight crust. You may need to use your fingers to push into place. Make sure to ‘join’ the walls to the bottom crust by taking a few pieces of the tots and pressing it in to form a barrier. You want to make sure that no eggs leak out.
- Bake for 18 minutes. While the tots are browning whisk together the eggs, baking soda, cream, salt and pepper til light and frothy. Set aside.
- Pull the pan out of the oven and reduce the temperature to 350F. Line the bottom and partially up the sides of the tot crust with the cheese, overlapping slightly. Next add in the ham pieces (bacon too if you’re using!) and then pour the eggs in. The eggs should come up close to the top (about 1/4” below). Cook for 45 minutes. *If it’s easier for you, place the tot pan on a rimmed baking sheet before adding the cheese/eggs then put the rimmed sheet into the oven if you’re worried about spillage/leakage.
- Open the oven, remove the foil and continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the center is set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for at least an hour prior to removing the sides. Slice and serve warm.
If you don’t have ham you can use crispy bacon. You can go vegetarian with roasted veggies, cooked mushrooms or with lots of cheeses! The beauty of this recipe is that you can truly make it your own!