- 203.125 grams or 1 1/2 cups plus 2 Tbl flour – cold
- 12.5 grams or 1 Tbl sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 Tbl unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and very, very cold
- 3 Tbl shortening (cold and not butter flavored)
- 3 Tbl cold water, or as needed
- 2 Tbl vodka, cold 80 proof
- Ice cubes
- Place the water and vodka in a cup and add 1-3 ice cubes to keep cold. In a food processor fitted with the dough blade, add the butter, shortening, flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse 8 to 12 times, until the butter is the size of peas.
- With the food processor running, pour in the water and vodka (not the ice) until it forms a ball. This should take 10-15 seconds at most.
- On a floured surface, dump out the dough and quickly shape into a round disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, place the unwrapped disk on a floured board and gently roll into a circle starting from the center to the outside, turning a quarter turn and flouring the disk/rolling pin until the dough is larger than your pan. For a 9″ pie pan, roll into a 12″ circle. Allow to rest for 5 minutes so the gluten can relax again.
- Gently roll up the dough onto the floured rolling pin and place it into a 9″ Pie Dish. Crimp/flute/trim the edges so the crust just barely fits over top.
- Place the pie pan with the crust in it back into the fridge for 15-30 minutes as this will help prevent shrinkage.
- If par-baking (blind-baking) the crust before you fill it, add parchment paper and fill with pie weights. and bake at 400F for 15 minutes. Remove the parchment, weights, poke holes in the bottom, and bake for 5-20 minutes. This will depend if you’re par-baking or fully baking.
*Time does not include resting/chilling