So if you read my post from yesterday, I had every intention of making pot roast for dinner. Then I got distracted by tv and my Frito Bandito solo, one thing led to another and I ended up with this seriously amazing Mexican beef! I mean the aromas alone were mouth-watering! It was one of those as you starting walking towards the kitchen your nose did a little twitch, your tummy made a low growl and you started to walk a little faster to that smell. I couldn’t tell you how many times Mr. Fantabulous walked through the kitchen and did a huge sniff followed by a “Mmmmmm smells sooooooooooo good!”
I’ll be serving these tonight as either soft tacos or a buritto/chimichanga. I have my enchilada sauce (follow steps 1-6 and just let it simmer for 20 minutes) already made. I’ll make up some spiced corn, black bean and red onion salsa and perhaps a side of Mexican rice or refried beans.
But look at it.. it’s sooooooo pretty! I bet this would be AMAZING as a pizza with a creamy avocado sauce and colby jack cheese. *Mental note.. .try as pizza!*
Just a side note.. this definitely has some heat to it so you’ll need something cool to balance it out – creamy guacamole or cilantro sourcream.
Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
- 1 (2 pound) london broil or pot/chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 small can diced green chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2–4 ounces hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- Enough water to cover 1/3 of the meat
- Remove any fat from the sides of the meat.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the oil.
- Add the meat and pan sear all sides to where you a get a nice deep sear on it – watch for splatters!
- Add the meat to the crockpot.
- Top with chopped onions, both peppers and garlic.
- Sprinkle the dry spices on top trying to best evenly distribute.
- Add the hot sauce and chopped cilantro.
- Add enough water to go to 1/3 the way up the meat.
- Cover and turn on high for 5-6 hours.
- During the cooking time refrain from removing the lid. ONLY remove the lid briefly to add more water if it dissipates.
- After 5-6 hours, remove the meat to shred replacing the lid while you are shredding it.
- Using 2 forks, shred the beef.
- Add the shredded beef back to the juices and mix.
- Replace the lid and turn the crock pot to low.
- Cook for 1-2 hours to allow the meat to soak up all the juices and flavor.
Recipe Reviews & Comments
I absolutely love this recipe. I have been using it for years as an amazing main staple for meals throughout the week. I highly recommend pairing it with mixed greens tossed in a cilantro-lime vinaigrette.
This became my goto recipe for shredded beef. It’s in my regular rotation for protein to have on hand.
Thank you so much Isiah! I love this recipe as the meat is so versatile!
Best Kitchen Wishes!
Chrissy Eckert says
Is the hot pepper sauce just hot sauce? Like red hot?
Like say Tabasco, Cholula or yes red hot. Just not Buffalo sauce.
Best Kitchen Wishes!
This looks so good I just want to stick a fork in it and eat it now! I so love your website and recipes! I’ve made a few of your things and they are some of the best things! So happy to have found your site!
Thanks Anita and welcome to the TKW family! If you haven’t checked us out on Facebook yet, you should! I also give up lots of other recipes and tips on there that don’t make it here.