Seriously… you need to stop what you are doing right now and go make these. Trust me, they are THAT insanely good!
Now I went back and forth on this recipe as to whether or not to share it. This is really an amazing cookie. But I entered this into a contest in hopes to help TKW get more well known and honestly, this just too amazing not to share.
Here’s the best part about this cookie.. you can make it in a mini muffin tin, a regular muffin tin, a whoopie pie pan or even a big tart/springform pan. This can be treated as a cookie OR as a very elegant dinner tart!Print
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 blocks of unsweetened chocolate, chopped (4 ounces)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels, divided
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chocolate chip chunks, divided
- 3–3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons chocolate extract
- 2 cups toasted pecans (chopped or whole)
- Chocolate Fudge filling
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Caramel center
- 7 ounces caramel (pieces)
- 3–5 tablespoon heavy cream
- Chocolate Ganache Drizzle* (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, melt butter, unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels and ½ cup milk chocolate chips over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt and espresso powder; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat eggs, sugar, and chocolate at medium speed until combined.
- Add flour mixture, beating well. Add chocolate mixture and beat until combined. Stir in remaining chocolate pieces.
- Using a cookie scoop, make 2 “balls and press down into a whoopie pie pan.
- Bake the cookies for 6 minutes.
- While they are baking, make the fudge center.
- In a double boiler over simmering hot water melt the chocolate. Once melted add the condensed milk and vanilla extract. Stir to blend.
- Transfer to a glass bowl and allow to cool.
- Make the caramel center.
- Melt the caramel and heavy cream in a sauce pan until creamy and smooth.
- At the 6 minutes mark, remove the cookies from oven and gently press down the center to make a slight well.
- Continue baking for 3-4 minutes or until edges are firm and centers appear cracked.
- As soon as you remove the cookies from the oven, fill with chocolate fudge filling, top with caramel and pecans.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheets about 3 minutes; using a rubber tipped spatula, transfer the cookies to a wire rack.
- Drizzle with chocolate ganache if you wish.
These can be kept in an air tight container. They can be eaten at room temperature or warmed up for 10-15 seconds. Top with ice cream for a real treat!