Move over you sausage, egg, cheese muffin sandwiches. There’s a new sheriff in town! It’s the Breakfast Makeover Sandwich. It’s kicken butt and takin’ names! It’s unapologetic and demands respect!
Yeah, this sandwich has attitude and is snobby but hey, when you’re this awesome, you’re allowed!
This sandwich is ridiculously simple to make and requires pretty basic ingredients but when it’s put together and presented in front of you, it takes on this air of elegance. For me it’s the arugula I think. I’m betting a good portion of you will have to go out and buy this as you don’t keep it on hand but I ask you.. why not? Just look at the health benefits alone with this leafy green:
- With very few calories and tons of flavor it is a great green to help maintain a healthy weight without sacrificing great tasting foods!
- Arugula is a rich source of certain phytochemicals that have been shown to combat cancer-causing elements in the body. Arugula is also a great source of folic acid and Vitamins A, C and K. As one of the best vegetable sources of Vitamin K, arugula provides a boost for bone and brain health.
- Arugula has an array of minerals and high levels of Iron and Copper, making it a good substitute for spinach if you’re paying attention to getting more vegetable based iron in your diet.
- Its peppery flavor provides a natural cooling effect on the body – a good food for hot weather picnics!
- Like other leafy greens, arugula is also a hydrating food, helping keep your body hydrated in the heat of summer.
- Arugula contains about eight times the calcium, fives times the vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K, and four times the iron as the same amount of iceberg lettuce.
Wanna know what else? Arugula makes you SEXY!
Centuries ago Romans discovered an unlikely quality of this leafy green. Finding that those who ate it on a regular basis were more um… amorous, it became revered as a powerful aphrodisiac. It has since been used as a sensual enhancer throughout many regions of the world, and often combined with other aphrodisiac herbs like lavender and chicory to create a somewhat of a love potion.
Arugula’s aphrodisiac qualities may stem from its stimulating effects on the body, providing power and energy that vitalizes the system.
Yeah seriously… a sandwich that not only tastes awesome and is good for you but also is an aphrodisiac! ROCK ON!!! Lemme start my own arugula garden! *wink* LOL
Now like any good cook you want taste testers well um I have to admit on this dish I had none. Oh Mr. Fantabulous was home and hungry but after I took the photo shoot the smell got to me and I figured I’d just take a quick bite before giving it to him to try. That bite turned into three, then half the sandwich followed by the other half and my making Mr. Fantabulous a bowl of pasta. He was none the wiser though he kept asking why he smelled bacon but didn’t see anyone.
*looks up at the sky and whistles* I don’t know nuffin about no stinkin’ bacon. LOL
So you’re gonna have to take my word on this one, this sandwich has gumption.
Wait… did I just say ‘Gumption’? I can remember my grandma saying that word! Does anyone ever say that anymore? Do you younger generations even know what that means?
|synonyms:||initiative, resourcefulness, enterprise, ingenuity, imagination|
- 1 egg
- 2 slices Asiago
- 2 strips crispy smoked apple wood bacon
- 1 cup arugula (loosely packed)
- 2 Tbl butter
- 1 whole grain ciabatta, sliced in half
- In a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat add 1 Tbl butter.
- When the butter melts and begins to foam crack the egg into the pan.
- Allow to cook for 1-2 minutes and then carefully break the yolk allowing it to cover parts of the white.
- While the egg is cooking, butter both cut sides of the ciabatta.
- Place the ciabatta bun into the pan, buttered side down. If your pan isn’t big enough, use a 2nd non-stick pan.
- Grill the bun until its golden brown.
- Place the bottom portion of the bun on a plate.
- Top with 1 slice of Asiago.
- Top with half of the arugula followed by the fried egg, bacon, rest of the arugula and the remaining slice of cheese.
- Place the top of the bun and gently press down.
- Slice and enjoy.