One of my all-time favorite comfort foods is white chicken chili.
This seriously is amazing!
With winter upon us, you NEED to make this!
What I did here is earlier in the day I made some Sourdough bread bowls. To serve, I scooped out a good bit of the center and filled it with chili. The stuff I scooped out I saved and used to make rustic croutons the next day.
The bread bowl recipe is here! This White Chicken Chili & Crusty Bread Bowl is one of my favorites!Print
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 med-sized yellow onion, diced small
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1qt. chicken stock – homemade is best but you can use box/can but be sure it’s low sodium
- 2 cans of white northern (cannellini) beans – not drained!
- 4 ounces roasted hatch chile peppers, chopped *can omit if you do not want the heat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups corn (fresh is possible if not, then frozen corn NOT IN BUTTER!)
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 cup sour cream plus additional for serving (low fat is OK)
- 1/4 cup each Cheddar Cheese, Gouda, and Gruyere
- Heat the oil in a large pot over med-high heat.
- Add the chicken & chopped onion and saute for about 5-7 minutes, or until the chicken is seared and the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 2-4 minutes.
- Add the beans, spices, chicken broth, corn and chilies – bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for thirty minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the sour cream and half & half. *if you want a thicker chili then use heavy cream*
- Ladle into a bowl, added a pinch of all 3 kinds of cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
- If you want it spicier, add 1 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
- If you want to make it cheesier, increase the cheese to 3/4 cup each and, when you put the sour cream and half & half in, add the cheese then, stirring to melt in.
Keywords: white chicken chili, hatch chile chicken soup, green chile chowder, comfort soup, bread bowl soup, creamy soup