So the Sourdough Starter that we just created over the past 8 days… made these!
While I can’t give out my personal Sourdough Bread recipe I can attest to this one from King Arthur Flour! When I first started making sourdough bread I followed this recipe. Once I began to really understand bread making I went off on my own and created our signature TKW Sourdough.
- 1 cup “fed” Sourdough Starter
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups High-Gluten Flour or Bread Flour
- Combine all of the ingredients, kneading to form a smooth dough.
- Allow the dough to rise, in a covered bowl, until it’s doubled in size, about 90 minutes.
- Gently divide the dough in half; it’ll deflate somewhat.
- Gently shape the dough into two oval loaves; or, for longer loaves, two 10″ to 11″ logs.
- Place the loaves on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise until very puffy, about 1 hour.
- Place a pizza stone on the bottom of your oven.
- Move one rack to the bottom and put an empty metal pan there (a 9X13″ metal pan works fine).
- Place the other rack in the middle settings.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Make two fairly deep diagonal slashes in each loaf; a serrated bread knife, wielded firmly, works well here.
- Fill a squirt bottle with very hot water and put 1 cup of very hot water in a container.
- Place the bread on the middle rack.
- Working quickly spray the sides of the oven and the bread.
- As fast you can, pour the 1 cup of very hot water in the 9×13″ metal pan and close the oven door!
- Wait 2 minutes, quickly open the door, re-spray the oven walls and loaves.
- Reduce heat to 425°F.
- Bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the pans half-way through.
- Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.