So the Sourdough Starter that we just created over the past 8 days… made these!
While I can’t give out my personal Sourdough Bread recipe I can attest to this one from King Arthur Flour! When I first started making sourdough bread I followed this recipe. Once I began to really understand bread making I went off on my own and created our signature TKW Sourdough.
Basic Sourdough Bread
Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
Did you make this recipe?Leave a review
- 1 cup “fed” Sourdough Starter
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups High-Gluten Flour or Bread Flour
- Combine all of the ingredients, kneading to form a smooth dough.
- Allow the dough to rise, in a covered bowl, until it’s doubled in size, about 90 minutes.
- Gently divide the dough in half; it’ll deflate somewhat.
- Gently shape the dough into two oval loaves; or, for longer loaves, two 10″ to 11″ logs.
- Place the loaves on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise until very puffy, about 1 hour.
- Place a pizza stone on the bottom of your oven.
- Move one rack to the bottom and put an empty metal pan there (a 9X13″ metal pan works fine).
- Place the other rack in the middle settings.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Make two fairly deep diagonal slashes in each loaf; a serrated bread knife, wielded firmly, works well here.
- Fill a squirt bottle with very hot water and put 1 cup of very hot water in a container.
- Place the bread on the middle rack.
- Working quickly spray the sides of the oven and the bread.
- As fast you can, pour the 1 cup of very hot water in the 9×13″ metal pan and close the oven door!
- Wait 2 minutes, quickly open the door, re-spray the oven walls and loaves.
- Reduce heat to 425°F.
- Bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the pans half-way through.
- Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.
Leave a Comment & Review