Lofthouse sugar cookies have been around FOREVER! They are probably one of the better sugar cookies I’ve come across. Super soft with a cake-like texture.
Did you make this recipe?Leave a review
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- food coloring (optional)
- In a medium bowl combine cake flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. Use an electric mixer to cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time stirring after each addition. Stir in sour cream and vanilla until combined. Gradually add in the flour mixture combined.
- Chill covered dough for at least one hour in the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll 3 tablespoons of dough into a ball. Use flour on your hands if needed (use as little as possible).
- Place the ball on the baking sheet and flatten it to about 1/2 inch thick, molding sides to keep a round shape if necessary. Continue with the remaining dough, placing each 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Cool for a few minutes on a baking sheet, and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, make the frosting.
- Using an electric mixer combine butter and gradually add in powdered sugar.
- When all sugar is added, pour in milk and vanilla and blend on medium until fluffy.
- Add in food color if desired. Frost the cookies