I’m gonna be honest here, I’m pretty cranky right now. I had to go back and get another shot in my foot. Oh yeah, I’m SOOOOOOOOO lucky! NOT! Hurt like a Sonofa…, yes I cursed, yes I teared up and yes I took 2 pain pills when I got home. However I didn’t want to disappoint and not at least post something. This is therapeutic for me and hopefully it inspires you to go into the kitchen and just create. So what if you make a mess or it doesn’t look picture perfect or even if the taste isn’t quite “there”. At least you’re trying! It takes practice and patience. And just remember you can always email me or catch me on our Facebook page with your questions.
So back to the whole foot thing. I’m going to preach it again here people – if you are baking/cooking and not wearing proper shoes, you’re only hurting yourself… LITERALLY! So take my advice and toss the piggy slippers aside while you bake/cook. Leave them for when you’re relaxing on the couch or in bed.
Tonight’s dinner, even though Mr. Fantabulous pitched a HUGE fit that I was making it (did I ever mention that I’m stubborn? No? Well I am but in a good way!) Like I’ve said all along, being in the kitchen relaxes me and even though I was hobbling around on 1 foot, I still cooked. Now granted it wasn’t anything outrageous and I think I had it cooked in maybe 15 minutes, I still HAD to cook something.
Since you know about the shot, let’s get to dinner. Southwestern Tacos – pretty simple but really good. Had some underlying heat but the avocado really cooled it down nicely.
Southwestern Tacos and Shots…
Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
- 1lb lean ground beef (or turkey)
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can drained green chilies
- 12 taco shells
- 1 can refried beans
- couple dashes of Tabasco sauce or hot sauce (depending on how hot you like it)
- 1/4 cup water
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar
- Diced Tomatoes
- Diced Green Onions
- 1 avocado cut up and “mushed” with just a VERY light drizzle of lemon juice (so it doesn’t turn brown on you)
- Shredded Lettuce
- Brown the meat in a saute pan over medium heat all the while breaking it up so you do not have big chunks
- Drain the excess grease and discard.
- Place the meat back in the pan and add in the chili powder, garlic powder, cornstarch, cumin and salt; stir.
- Add the water and turn the heat to high as you want this to come just to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, add the green chilies and reduce to simmer for 5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened and there is little ‘water’.
- While the meat is simmering heat the shells on a tray at 350 for 5 minutes laying them on their sides just so the edges overlap. Watch so you do not burn them.
- In a small sauce pan add in the refried beans, the hot sauce and water.
- Heat the beans on medium-low until warmed through.
- Take warm shell and put a layer of beans down
- Next add a layer of smushed avocado
- Add the lettuce
- Next add the cheese and sour cream
- Then a few spoons of the meat dispersing evenly
- Add the tomatoes, green onions a tad more cheese and a small dollop of sour cream
Leave a Comment & Review