Now with Lent going on and my ‘trying’ to be a good Catholic I gave up chips/pretzels/Doritos for Lent. Now granted I don’t eat them that often but there are times when you get that craving of a salty potato chip dipped in a chocolate Frosty. It’s a girl thing…
So of course with us being the 3rd day into Lent I am CRAVING hardcore for 1 just potato chip. Yeah I know, “you can’t eat just one” which is true but at least I am starting with 1 🙂 It’s funny as I could go months without ever giving chips a 2nd thought but the minute I can’t have one I NEED it NOW! LOL
This morning, as I was making 20qts of Italian Gravy and more Sourdough Bread I get this unreal craving for potato chips. Now knowing I don’t want to go to Hell (at least not any sooner) I rummage through for something salty and crunchy. Crackers? Eh… nah, not in the mood for them. Ohh! Pretzels…. crap, can’t have those. Damn it! Um.. raw noodles? LOL Hey I was getting desperate! Then I found a can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans (whatever you call them). Is there a difference between them?
Now these little things are super healthy for you, low in fat, high in protein and fiber but they aren’t crispy. Hmmm After about 20 minutes of staring at the can I remembered I had toasted them a while back and they got this ‘crunch’ to them.
So from that glimmer from my past I threw this together. SUPER easy but AMAZINGLY GOOD!
And the best part… I’m not going to hell today (at least not for this!) 🙂 LOL
- 1 can drained and rinsed chickpeas
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place the chickpeas between 2 paper towels and pat dry.
- Discard any skins.
- Put the chickpeas in a bowl and add the olive oil; gently mix to coat the chickpeas.
- Pour chickpeas out on to a rimmed pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and crispy – stirring every 10 minutes.
- When done sprinkle with salt and paprika.