I have been playing around with this recipe for weeks and I feel that I finally have it right. I may mix it up a tad here and there but the base is pretty much the same. All I know is this is wicked, I mean WICKED good and so unbelievably sinful. Like go-off-of-your-diet-or-run-5-miles-extra-tomorrow-as-your-pants-aren’t-gonna-fit-no-mo good! I’ve made this without crab in the filling, I’ve made it with just seafood and no spinach, I’ve used all types of cooked seafood in the sauce as well.
I’ll wait while you gawk at the picture a little longer. It’s pretty, isn’t it? 😀 Dear lord was this good!
Um hey… wipe your chin, you’re drooling! 😉
I’ll break this down into sections – pasta dough, ravioli filling, cream sauce… seems easiest.
Spinach Crab Ravioli with a Shrimp and Lobster Cream Sauce
Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
- Homemade Pasta recipe up until you chill the dough.
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 cup low-fat Ricotta
- 1 bag of spinach leaves, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1/4 cup cooked snow crab meat
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 1 egg
- Shrimp and Lobster Cream Sauce
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon seafood base *optional but it does ‘make’ the dish
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, rough chopped
- 1 cup cooked lobster chunks
- 12 jumbo shrimp, thawed and deveined
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- In a large saute pan, add the butter and melt.
- Add the garlic and shallots and saute until golden brown.
- Add the spinach, salt and pepper and cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Put this in a colander and squeeze out all of the juice. You want the spinach as dry as possible.
- Once dry,place it in a big bowl then add the egg, ricotta, crab and pecorino cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix until combined – leaving the crab chunks in tact.
- Set aside.
- Remove the chilled dough from the fridge.
- Roll out pasta using either your pasta machine or a rolling pin. You’ll need a very thin sheet of pasta as thin as you can possibly manage without tearing the pasta.
- Place one of the pasta sheets onto a lightly floured surface.
- Using a small cookie scooper, scoot out spinach crab mixture onto pasta sheets. Be sure to keep a small bit of distance between each scoop. ~about every 2″ apart.
- Using a pastry brush, brush egg white around each bit of filling, making the dough damp not wet
- Take the second piece and cover the bottom piece with it, be careful to not tear it.
- Use your fingers to seal the pasta sheets tightly together and remove any air.
- Press around each ravioli being careful not to squeeze the filling out.
- Using a round ravioli cutter or in a pinch you can use a fluted pastry cutter, cut each ravioli and put on a sheet pan sprinkled with VERY lightly with flour. Set aside until ready to boil.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- In a 12″ sauce pan, add 2 tablespoon butter, shallots, and saute until shallots are translucent over medium heat.
- Add the shrimp and cook 3-4 minutes or until pink and curled.
- Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add the 1 tablespoon of flour and melt.
- Add in the flour and whisk for ~2 minutes.
- Add in the milk and heavy cream and whisk to incorporate.
- Add in the salt, pepper, nutmeg, seafood base stirring to combine.
- Increase the heat to medium-high whisking constantly to slightly thicken.
- Add the cheese and whisk.
- Add in the spinach and stir with a rubber spatula.
- At this point you’re ready to put it all together.
- Add the ravioli to the pot of salted boiling water.
- IMMEDIATELY turn the heat down to a gentle boil.
- While you do this, add the shrimp and lobster to the cream sauce and reduce the heat to low stirring to combine.
- The pasta should be done in 4-8 minutes. Fresh pasta doesn’t take long.
- Place the cooked ravioli in the sauce then plate.
- Garnish with chives and some spinach pesto.
Leave a Comment & Review