When I first saw this recipe on my friend KC from Chat ‘n Dish facebook page I was like “Ohhhhhhhhhhhh… that looks awesome!” So naturally I asked her for it as I wanted to make it. She, being so sweet, gave it to me without batting an eye (Thanks a million KC!).
Now when I first saw her recipe I instantly thought “That’s it??? That’s all that goes into making something that awesome?”
So this past weekend I had made my Triple Bean Turkey Chili for the guys and wanted something with depth to go on the side. These instantly came to mind!
I dug out her recipe and then made the “oh crap!” face. I didn’t have ready-to-cook hash browns or garlic herb cream cheese. So I went the old fashioned way and made it all from scratch.
Well these things were better than I had anticipated. I did have to tweak the recipe a bit (I had to make my own garlic herb cream cheese and I added chives and bacon to it) but the base recipe is hers.
These are definitely a staple now when I make chili and I can so see these on the buffet table for the next Steelers game!
- 2 Eggs
- 2 green onions, minced (green and white parts)
- 2 tsp fresh chives, minced
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbl grated Parmesan
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp dill
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/2 cup cooked bacon, chopped
- 1lb grated potatoes, drained very well (or you can use shredded ready to cook hash browns)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Grease muffin tin with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a bowl, beat together cream cheese, Parmesan, oregano, garlic powder, thyme, dill and basil.
- Add in the eggs and mix well.
- Add in the bacon, onions and chives, blend.
- Give the potatoes one last good squeeze to drain off any excess liquid.
- Fill muffin tin to the top.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes if using mini muffin tin or 25-28 if using standard size muffin tin.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 2 minutes.
- Using a spatula or knife, gently remove from the pans onto a cooling rack.
If you wanted you could added shredded cheese and cooked sausage to this too.