Ya know, being sent a box of cheese is probably one of the greatest things ever. This box of cheese flavors that our friends at Manwaring Cheese sent us is like little cheesy bricks from heaven (that is, if heaven has bricks but if you’re me, my heaven has the most awesome kitchen ever with every gadget ‘;n gidzmo a girl could want … and Mark Wahlberg shirtless, Vin Diesel – just tell me over and over you live your life a quarter mile at a time baby, Channing Tatum – just dance for me pretty and Mr. Fantabulous)! lol
Now the only flavor I was a bit hesitant on was the Smoke Chipotle. Why? I’m a wuss when it comes to super spicy stuff. I mean I go through spurts where ketchup is too spicy for me – CRAZY! I know, right! LOL However I love that burn, that heat you get in your chest; that sneak up slap you in the back of the head, kiss you on the lips, steal your dog and buy you roses, heat. So I knew I wanted to make some type of sandwich with it and have it be all melty -n- gooey (cause that’s when cheese is like most awesomest) and since I already had chicken thawed, fresh ciabatta loaves baked and the fixins, all I had to do was assemble (well okay, make it first and actually try the cheese).
So since I’m a wuss I cut of a teeny slice and pretty much did the tip-of-the-tongue taste test. If my tongue didn’t melt off after 30 seconds then I was going full-blown pop it in the mouth taste test. I waited… and waited.. and waited… not too bad. So I stuck the piece in, chewed it up and swear I heard angels sing (cause ya know this cheese is like bricks from heaven.. yada yada yada.. LOL). HOWEVER… the devil started dancing around and he was bringin’ the heat. It has a great, GREAT spicy undertone from the Chipotle Pepper and the smokiness is amazing! I knew I made the right choice to use this cheese on this sammich.
Seriously, look how GORGEOUS that is! As I’m making it I can hear “sniff, sniff, SNIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFF.. OH Honey! What are you making? That smells awesome! I’m starving!” Confession – since this was a test recipe, I only was making one. I mean if it didn’t turn out, why waste ingredients, right? I mean it’s not like Oprah has adopted me… yet. LOL So fortunately I was early in the process that I could toss in some extra stuff to make 2 of these puppies. THANK GOD I did because these were truly worth of the word “FANTABULOUS!!!” The combination of the smokiness of the cheese plus the chipotle flavoring married perfectly with the chicken and veggies. I seriously could have eaten this for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. Actually I loved it so much that I made it again the next night! LOLPrint
- 16 slices Manwaring Smoked Chipotle Cheese
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1/2” strips
- 3/4 of a large yellow onion, cut into small chunks
- 6 medium portabella mushrooms, sliced into 1/4” pieces
- 2 roasted red peppers, sliced into 1/4” strips
- 3 cups spinach
- 2 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbl butter, plus more for the buns
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 4 6” Ciabatta buns
- Place the strips of chicken on a plate and season with smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Gently combine and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- While you’re waiting, slice the buns in half lengthwise and butter the insides (about 2 tsp per side).
- Place the buns on a cookie tray, buttered sides facing up.
- minutes before you’re ready to cook the chicken, place the oil and butter in a large stainless steel skillet and heat over medium-high.
- When the butter starts to bubble add in the onions.
- Cook for 2 minutes and add in the sugar, stirring to incorporate. This will help cook the onion down and give it an amazing flavor.
- Cook until just soft (about 5 more minutes) and add in the mushrooms.
- Stir the onions and mushrooms around until the mushrooms have released their juices, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and mix with the onion and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. At this point the chicken is almost done.
- Add in the roasted peppers and cook for until the chicken is done. ~3 minutes.
- Place the buttered buns in the oven to crisp up (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add in the spinach, stir and turn of the heat.
- Remove the buns from the oven, top one half of the bun with the chicken and veggies and then top with 2 slices of cheese per side.
- Pop them back in the oven for a minute just to melt the cheese.