In light of this being National Grilled Cheese Month I wanted to go above and beyond your typical buttered bread with some cheese slapped in the middle. I wanted.. different. The more I thought about it the more I tossed around oh about 372,000 combinations but they all have one theme in common.. savory.
Well the more I got to thinking I figured everyone would be doing savory. *I* wanted different. I wanted far fetched and one of those “OMG! Did you just see what The Kitchen Whisperer just posted??? She’s crazy! No, she’s BRILLIANT!” type of reaction.
I’m thinking I definitely pushed the limits on this one and went totally left when everyone else in the world was going right.
So lemme tell you what people, while this is an EXTREMELY messy sandwich, this is probably one of the best grilled cheeses I’ve ever had! See I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Brie en Croute with Jam (pretty much brie cheese with raspberry jam on top encased in a very buttery, soft pastry dough). Okay so it’s not like running down your face messy but grab a few extra napkins or be like me and lick your fingers and then swoop the excess that oozes out on to your plate with said finger. Repeat.
But just look how gorgeous that is! All that creamy sweet brie cheese infused with the raspberry jam. Then to act as that rounder of flavors, the chocolate hazelnut of the Nutella. Seriously folks, this was pure bliss!
You know you want one right now! That warm buttery sweet bread, the tenderness of the cheese and fillings. Mmmmm
*Pssst! Wipe your chin, you’re drooling again *wink*Print
- 2 slices thick cut bread (at least 1” thick – Brioche works beautifully here)
- 2 Tbl butter, unsalted
- 3–4 Tbl Nutella
- 4 ounces brie cheese, cut into 1/4” slices/rounds (rind can be left on if desired)
- 1 1/2 Tbl raspberry preserves
- Heat a grill pan over medium-low heat.
- Butter both sides of the bread.
- Place the inside buttered sides down on the pan.
- Grill for 3-6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip over and on one slice of bread spread the Nutella over top taking slightly to the edge.
- Top with the brie cheese.
- Gently spread the raspberry preserves on top.
- Place the other side of the bread, toasted side down on top of the preserves.
- Lower the heat to low and grill. You want to grill this slowly to have the cheese melt.
- Grill for 4-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Gently flip and grill for 4-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and allow to cool for a minute. If you cut into it immediately the inside will just pour out. All the cheese to set just slightly.