This past week I had such an incredible craving for Carnitas that I obsessed over them for 4 days until I was actually able to make them this past Friday. I got up about 15 minutes earlier for work (which was 3:15am for those that care.. yes, you read that right… 3:15am). I got the stuff all put in the crock and was on my way to the gym. Well as I was driving I kept smelling limes (which isn’t a bad thing). Now even though I washed my hands a few times, apparently lime juice doesn’t go away. So I get to the gym, put in 90 minutes of cardio and shower. Nothing strange thus far. Well as I’m doing my hair and put my hand up towards my face I STILL smelled the limes. Again, not a bad thing. Well I’m sitting there, in the gym, partially dressed giggling… all by my lonesome. Not sure really why but it just struck me as funny. THANKFULLY no one was in the gym that early otherwise they would have thought I was nuts!
All day long I kept smelling my hands and the limes, even though by now I’m just have washed my hands a good half dozen times, all I could think about what was waiting for me at home. No, not my sexy Mr. Fantabulous (sorry honey but Mama was hungry) but rather those carnitas just slow cooking away in those sweet and tangy juices. Now what made it worse for me was I was crushed ALL DAY at work. Meeting after meeting and even during lunch. I actually didn’t get to eat until almost 3pm and that was nothing more than a protein bar. Stupid meetings! They really should instill a Meeting-less Monday at our office so people can get actual real work done.
So when I got home and walked in the house that smell hit me. OMG that dear sweet amazing smell! As it was sitting in the crock warming I put together the Creamy Cilantro Lime Pineapple Coleslaw, tossed that puppy in the fridge to chill and quickly changed. 30 minutes later it was time to get to work. Well, what little there was. I shredded it and then broiled the meat to get charred brown edges. Warmed some tortillas, chopped some cilantro and got out the sourcream. DINNER was served.
This was so good that I just wanted to crawl into the crockpot and swim around in all that luscious flavors. Well okay, not literally as that would be icky but you know what I mean *wink*. Kind of like wanting to swim in the Willy Wonka Chocolate river, right? LOL
One night this week, get the ingredients to make this and before you go to work the next morning pop this in your crock pot. I highly recommend using one, that after cooking for the X amount of time that it goes to a warm setting.
Even Mr. Fantabulous who is not a pork fan LOVED this!
- 4–5 lbs pork shoulder
- 11/2 Tbl garlic, minced
- 1 Tbl coarse salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Juice of 1 lime
- 16 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 ounce can of diced green chilies (keep the juice)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 12 ounce bottle Corona
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Pineapple Coleslaw
- Place the pork shoulder in the crock pot.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, oregano, cinnamon, and cayenne.
- Rub seasonings onto the pork.
- Evenly distribute the garlic over top of the meat.
- Next, add in lime juice, orange juice, beer, tomatoes and green chilies.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. I actually let mine cook for 10 since I was at work. It was SUPER tender!
- Directly in the crock pot, shred the meat into chunks using 2 forks.
- Preheat broiler and place rack in upper third of the oven.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Shred meat with two forks directly in the slow cooker (or take out, shred, and replace in sauce). It should fall apart easily.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop up some meat (allowing to drain slightly) and place the meat on the baking sheet.
- Spoon a few spoonful’s of sauce over top.
- Broil for 5-10 minutes or until you get browned edges on the pork.
- Serve with warm tortillas, Creamy Cilantro Lime Pineapple Coleslaw and sour cream.