I had bought these GORGEOUS zucchinis the other day at the market. I mean they were beautious to the max! LOL When I brought them home I had a hard time deciding what to make with them. I mean I could have gone with my to-die-for Chocolate zucchini muffins or my Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries. Then again we have my Zucchini Lasagna or my Tomato Zucchini Summery Tart. But this, this I wanted something stuffed. That’s when it hit me. I LOVE stuffed zucchini with a crab stuffing. Now it’s not your typical stuffing as there is very little binder in here as you want just the flavor of the crab to shine through; you don’t want that fluff crap. Kind of like when you eat a crab cake. You want crab, not a mouthful of bread crumbs and just a hint of crab.
This is one of my all time favorite things to make in the summer when zucchini is fresh from the garden. I honest to goodness LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe and it’s one dish I never ever get tired of!
So if you love crab and zucchini, you are going to go nuts over this!
The fresh jumbo lump crab meat with the hint of lemon topped with the gruyere panko crust was OVER-THE-TOP-INSANELY-DELICIOUS!
You NEED to make these!
No really, you NEED to make these!
AND since this calls for Panko, see the recipe note on how to make Gluten Free Panko breadcrumbs!!!Print
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line a baking pan with foil.
- Slice the zucchini in half the long way, and scoop out the flesh using a melon baller leaving about 1/2-inch thick skins. Reserve the flesh and set aside.
- Drizzle the zucchini flesh side with 1 tsp olive oil and season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Place on the foil, hulled side down.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the zucchini is baking in a skillet add 2 tsp olive oil and heat over medium.
- Coarsely chop the zucchini flesh.
- Place the shallots in the pan with the zucchini flesh.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes or until it begins to soften.
- Add in the garlic, remaining salt and pepper.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until the zucchini is mixture is soft but not mushy.
- Add in the lemon juice and crab meat.
- Gently stir and cook for 30 seconds just to heat the crab.
- When the zucchini is done baking, remove from the oven and set aside leaving the oven on.
- Transfer the crab mixture to a bowl. Add in 1/3 cup of panko and 1 cup of gruyere.
- Gently combine. The mixture will be loose but will clump slightly if pressed together.
- Using tongs, gently flip the zucchini slices over so the hulled out portion is facing upwards.
- Evenly divide the crab mixture into the zucchini, mounding as needed.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbl of panko on top of each.
- Lightly mist the tops with olive oil and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the zucchini is easily pierced with a knife.
- Remove from the oven, turn on the broiler.
- Divide the remaining 1/2 cup gruyere and sprinkle on top.
- Broil for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- Garnish with lemon.