.. and the zucchini obsession continues
So this dish literally came out of my having 2 things – extra zucchini from making my Cheesy Jarlsberg Zucchini Fritters and jumbo lump crab meat that I NEEDED to use up like that day.
The recipe couldn’t be any more simple but the outcome…
Oh, the outcome! Dear sweet baby Jesus on toast you wanna talk about delicious!
Perfect little bites of awesomeness!
Sure you could make them bigger but I love the fact that these are appetizer-sized and totally pop-able!
The chunks of crab meat (yes you can use cooked shrimp too!) makes this dish go from wow to BOOYAH I’m gonna kiss you good!!!
I can’t wait to have my next party just so I can serve these!
Now I can attest that these are awesome straight out of the oven, room temp and even straight from the fridge. I mean I had to test them for you, right? *bats baby blues*
Now I added some heat to these as I personally like that cayenne kickback you get when you have anything with seafood. It just brings the flavors to life. You can certainly keep it out if you want or just use a smidgen of it.Print
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/3 cup grated onions
- 1 1/2 cups jumbo lump crab meat, picked through
- 1 cup shredded Jarlsberg cheese
- 1 cup Jarlsberg cheese slices (~1/4” thick by 1” square)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour or gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup Panko or Gluten Free Panko
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbl cornstarch
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4–1/2 tsp cayenne
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray mini muffin tins.
- Place the shredded zucchini in a cheese cloth and wring out all the water. You should get at least 1/4-1/2 cup of zucchini ‘juice’. In a bowl place all of the ingredients (minus the 1 cup cheese slices and crab) and mix until combined. Gently fold in the crab. Fill each muffin tin almost to the top.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes until the tops are lightly golden brown and puffed up. Remove from oven and turn it to broil. Add a cheese slice on top of each puffy cake. Broil for a minute or just until the cheese begins to melt. Remove from oven and take a thin blade and go around the puffy cake to loosen.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 2-3 minutes. Gently remove from the tins and cool on a cooling rack.
- Can be served immediately or room temp.