So I had a bunch of left over brioche bread here that I needed to use up. Now I already made Mr. Fantabulous his French Toast but I hadn’t eaten yet. It’s no secret that I’m not a fan of these types of breakfast foods (waffles, pancakes, etc). I mean I like the stuff but only like 1-2 bites then it gets to be too much for me.
Since I was looking to use up the bread and didn’t want a big serving for me, I opted to make french toast sticks. Now I made 1 slice (3 sticks) just the normal way – dip in the mixture and then cook on the griddle. When they were done they looked gorgeous but I just wasn’t feeling it…. plus Mr. Fantabulous spied them and well yeah… they disappeared. LOL
I remembered a few years ago I was out and I saw someone ordered a ‘crusted’ french toast. Now that intrigued me. Crispy/Crunchy on the outside and soft and eggy on the inside. This may work…
I dug around my pantry and found a good ol’ box of Corn Flakes. Seriously, that and Wheaties are the 2 greatest cereals ever! Simple, pure and just delicious!
I crushed up a good handful of ’em and got to dipping and coating.
Now I was pretty hesitant about how this would cook up as I left the flakes kind of big as I wanted to see it and have that texture.
Making these, you need to actually press the flakes onto the french toast stick. I found the key was to use a little bit of gentle pressure and keep coating and turning to get it to stick. Now it won’t stick on the entire thing, and that’s okay – it gives it a more rustic appearance.
I placed these babies on the buttered grilled and they cooked up in minutes!
Have to admit, these were really good. The cornflake crunchy coating makes these! Your kids, both big and small, are going to LOVE these!Print
- 4 slices thick cut brioche bread (about 1” thick) or any white bread
- 2 XL eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 Tbl brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes (or any other type of flake cereal)
- 1–2 Tbl butter
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs and half and half until frothy.
- Add in the brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt.
- Whisk until combined.
- Pour into a shallow dish.
- In another shallow dish, add in the crushed cornflakes
- Cut your bread into 1”-wide strips.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat and add 1 Tbl of butter.
- Dip the bread stick into the egg mixture and cover all sides. Do not let it rest in there as you don’t want it to become soggy.
- Place the egg-covered stick in the cornflakes and press down, gently rolling to cover all sides.
- Add to the pan and repeat with the remaining sticks, or however many your pan can hold (don’t over crowd).
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes and flip (I used tongs actually as that seemed easiest). The bottom should be golden brown.
- Continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and plate.
- Top with syrup or your favorite topping.