Did you ever get so excited when trying out a new recipe that half way through the middle of cooking it you just knew it was going to be incredible? No I mean, INCREDIBLE? That’s how I was when I was creating this one. I’ve been on this Asian/Thai kick with my food. I mean that Thai Noodles with Chicken in a Spicy Peanut Sauce recipe is just pure heaven on a plate! So it’s no surprise that these wraps were feeling the Asian love!
I love these wraps. No, seriously, I LOOOOOOOOOOVE these wraps! Like to the point where I literally ate these every day for 2 weeks, sometimes twice a day!
This is one of those dishes where you eat it, get full and then like an hour later you crave another. It’s sinful in the most savory of ways.
With me I go in spurts of food obsessions if you will. For a while it was zucchini, then Brussels Sprouts, once in a blue moon chocolate, always bacon and for a while it was these wraps. They just made sense plus I had everything on hand. This is one of those dishes where if you’ve never had Hoisin sauce you will fall in love. This of Hoisin sauce as a Chinese type of bbq sauce. The flavors of the ginger and Chinese Five Spice will shine with this. It’s just perfect in my eyes.
You just don’t understand how amazing they
Those gorgeous chicken filled hoisin glazed wraps of love! Seriously I wish you guys were here right now to hear my stomach growl just typing this post. I mean I LOVE these wraps!
They are sweet with some latent heat but it’s mild. It’s kind of like some flames just tickled the back of your taste buds but didn’t quite touch down. It let you know it was there without making you feel it.
These are awesome for lunch, dinner or that midnight snack (trust me, I’ve had it all three times!) LOLPrint
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (I cooked mine in chicken stock), warmed
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into small chunks (about 1” long by 1/2” wide)
- 2–3 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup minced water chestnuts
- 4 scallions, chopped (white and green parts)
- 1/2 cup crunchy Asian noodles
- 6 10“ round tortillas, warmed
- Place a medium stainless skillet (not nonstick) over medium heat.
- Add in the sesame oil and heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the ginger and garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken, stir and cook for ~3-4 minutes per side or until the chicken is just about done.
- Add the mushrooms, water chestnuts and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring around.
- Add in the rice vinegar and Hoisin and stir to coat the chicken.
- Test the chicken to ensure it’s at 165F, cooked all the way through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Place a tortilla flat and scoop up about a 1/3 cup of rice laying placing it just below the center and spreading it out into a 1-2” strip leaving a 1” edge on the side.
- Add some of the cabbage and carrots.
- Top with a 1/2-3/4 cup of the chicken mixture and spread over top of the rice.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of the crunch Asian noodles.
- Fold the bottom edge up and over the filling.
- Fold the opposite sides in and over the filling.
- Roll up the wrap from the bottom.
- To cut, turn the wrap 45 degrees and cut on an angle (I find using a serrated knife easiest).