This post is being sponsored by Nordic Ware featuring their AMAZING Cookies & Cream Baking Pan. So if you recall when I shared my review of the Nordic Ware Cookies & Cream Pan, I promised you that I’d share the recipe on how to make these adorable (and unbelievably DELICIOUS treats). Oh trust me, it wasn’t easy not sharing it right away but I wanted a teaser; something that even though you never tasted it you already craved it. I honestly was so happy by how these turned out. These have to be one of the prettiest desserts I’ve made in a really long time.
I am so in love with this pan from Nordic Ware that I cannot wait to make more stuff with it! As you can see this post is pretty heavy with photos. I couldn’t control myself. The camera just loved these decadent little beauties. I seriously want to have a party JUST to make these as the dessert.
This mousse is so good and literally tastes just like hot chocolate but in a creamy mousse form. And can I just take a second and talk about those micro marshmallow bits? Seriously.. CUTEST. THINGS. EVER! I honestly could not wait to use them in this recipe… and pop about 37 in my mouth at once just because they are teeny…and I have a big mouth… or so Mr. Fantabulous says I do.
If you notice below in the cookie recipe I actually tell you to freeze the cookie cups prior to dipping in the chocolate and kissyface dust. I find having them frozen makes it so much easier to dip (and harden the chocolate faster) plus it’s also easier to fill with the mousse.
Now if you wanted you could totally coat the inside of the cups with chocolate with a small thin blade knife or pour some chocolate in and then immediately turn it over to drip out. You don’t want to create a chunk of chocolate in it but rather just coat the insides. I opted not to coat the insides for two reasons:
The mousse was thick enough to not drip or seep out; and
I wanted to stuff one in my mouth as fast as possible
What… don’t judge me *wink*
What is so awesome about this pan is it really allows you to plan ahead. I whipped up a couple batches of these cookies and then left the unfilled cups in the freezer. With the holidays, drop-in company always happens (which I love) and if you’re like me you always, ALWAYS need to serve something to eat plus a dessert. Since this mousse is so quick to make you can have dessert on the table faster than your pot of coffee is done! 5 minutes to whip it all together and maybe a minute to pipe into the cups and then presented to your guests.
Just imagine the look of “WOW!” you’ll get when you present these decadent little pieces of heaven to your guests! You’ll definitely be the first house next year to visit on everyone’s list if you serve these!
But let me take a moment to pause here and let you S….L…O….W…L…Y scroll down and check out a few more of these pictures. No cheating and going to the end here folks. I worked hard on these pictures – well okay, not really because as I said, the camera loved these little cups.
Just imagine that first taste of the hot chocolate mousse – it’s so light and creamy. If you wanted you could easily add some candy candy dust to the mousse to give it that peppermint flavor too! Now if you’re like me that first taste, that’s the money taste. So with that I wanted a little bite of everything at once. Sure I could have been unladylike and stuck it straight in my mouth all the way down to the candy cane dust but my mouth isn’t that big and it would have been too much at once.
Thus I kind of went in on it from a side angle – I bit in around the top side so I got some of the cookie, the chocolate dip, the kissy face dust, the mousse and the marshmallows. Words escape me from how amazing this is. I honestly think THIS is my most favorite way to enjoy ‘hot’ chocolate. The cookie was chilled and dense to hold up the filling. The mousse was so light and airy; rich and decadent. And that kissy face dust coating the chocolate rim…. PERFECTION!
What is also awesome about these cups, aside from the AMAZING flavor, is that they are the perfect size. When I eat dessert I want something that doesn’t require a doggy bag because the piece is so massive OR something that is a one or two bite thing. This is kinda like that perfect bed Goldilocks found – not too big, not too small but JUST RIGHT.
As I was taking the photo shoot for these lovelies, Mr. Fantabulous came out to the kitchen because he wanted a snack. Since I only had 6 of these prepared, there weren’t any stragglers on the counter (i.e., not in the shoot) he found the bowl of extra mousse. He said not a word but sat at the table watching me.
He kept commenting how ‘pretty’ the cups were and how ‘professional’ they looked. He said “those look like something you’d get at a fancy restaurant” however in the background when he would speak I would hear this sound. It was kind of like metal or a scraping metal against metal sound. While it was faint, I only ever heard it while he was talking. But I disregarded it until…
Yes, until.. Until I happened to look over at him during mid sentence and see the man holding my bowl of extra mousse and a spoon going elbow deep in it to get some out. He was so intensely digging into the mousse that he didn’t realize that I had stopped shooting and was standing there watching him inhale this stuff.
… seriously I married a 6 year old at times! LOL
Finally when he realized I was silent he looked up at me, mousse-covered spoon in his mouth and the look of “RUT ROH!” in his eyes. I just grinned and said “So, I take it you like that?” Of course he responded “Oh no honey it’s terrible. I wanted to check to see if it was poisonous and couldn’t really tell right away so I needed to taste it multiple times. You better not share this or try it yourself. I’ll take care of it for you. I wouldn’t want you to get sick or anything.”
So this holiday season, or because it’s a Tuesday and you don’t want to wear pants (trust me, I hate wearing pants), you need the Nordic Ware Cookies & Cream Pan in your life and these Hot Chocolate Cookie Cups with Triple Hot Chocolate Mousse in your mouth. These are a show stopper and one dish that EVERYONE is going to ask you for the recipe.
Oh by the way, if you were really concerned if the mousse was poisonous I’m happy to report that Mr. Fantabulous is miraculously ok and asking for more mousse *wink* LOL Like I said, I married a 6 year old. Enjoy and go whip up this show stopper!Print
Hot Chocolate Cookie Cups with Triple Hot Chocolate Mousse
Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon Chocolate Extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoon instant hot chocolate mix
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder
- 1/8 cup instant vanilla creamer
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoon whipping cream
Triple Hot Chocolate Mousse
- 1 – 3.4 ounce instant white chocolate pudding mix
- 3/4 cup instant hot chocolate mix
- 3 tablespoon melted and cooled dark chocolate (you want it soft)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup less 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, melted and smooth.
- 3 tablespoon Kissy Face Candy Cane Dust
- Marshmallow Bits
- Chocolate Curls
Make the Cookie Cups
- Heat oven to 350F, rack in the middle.
- Cream butter and sugars until smooth. ~4-5 minutes
- Beat in egg and Chocolate Extract until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, hot chocolate mix, cocoa, creamer mix, salt and baking soda.
- Add to wet ingredients a little at a time, making sure all is incorporated.
- Add in whipping cream and mix just until blended.
- Taking your Nordic Ware Cookies & Cream Pan , spray the wells and the tops of the pan with a baking spray that has flour in it.
- Pinch off a teaspoon at a time and push that into a well until it is 3/4th’s full. If you go 2/3rd’s that fine as well. You just don’t want to overfill these.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes or until the cookies are set and just slightly firm.
- Place the pan on a cooling rack and allow the cookie cups to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Place another cooling rack on top of the pan and holding both the top rack and pan itself, flip them over.
- Gently tap the cooling rack and pan against the counter and slowly lift the pan off of the cooling rack. The cookie cups should easily slide out.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Place the cookie cups on a pan lined with parchment paper and pop into the freezer for 30 minutes. This makes it easier to dip the cups in the chocolate and set up faster.
Decorate the Cookie Cups
- Set up your work station by placing the melted chocolate in a small bowl.
- Place the Kissy Face Candy Cane Dust in another.
- Remove the Cookie Cups from the freezer and dip the rim of the cup (or go bold and go half way down!) into the melted chocolate holding it upside down so the chocolate drips off.
- Once the chocolate is no longer dripping, set the chocolate coated cups in the candy cane dust and coat the rim.
- Turn right side up and allow to set.
- Repeat until all cookie cups are coated.
Make the Triple Hot Chocolate Mousse
- Place a medium-large bowl (I use metal) with beaters in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill it.
- When ready to make the mouse, remove the bowl and beaters from the fridge.
- In the bowl add in the white chocolate pudding mix, hot chocolate, milk and cream.
- Starting your beaters off on low, slowly blend the mixture together. ~1-2 minutes.
- Slowly increase the beaters to medium high and start to whip.
- As the mixture starts to thicken up add in 1 tablespoon at a time of the soft dark chocolate incorporating before adding in the next.
- The mixture will be thick and fluffy in about 5-6 minutes.
- Place the mousse into a piping bag fitting with a medium tip.
- Pipe the mouse into each prepared up going about 1/2” above the rim.
- Eat immediately (garnish with Marshmallow Bits and chocolate curls first) or to set the mousse completely (the mousse will be thick but I find it is best when it’s been chilled), place the cups into a covered container in the fridge for an hour.
- When ready to serve, garnish with Marshmallow Bits and chocolate curls.
Since these cookie cups are smaller, use the Marshmallow Bits instead of mini marshmallows for a more decadent and beautiful presentation!
You NEED this pan to make these. Nordic Ware Cookies & Cream Pan
Recipe Reviews & Comments
Wow, looks so delicious, chocolate cookie is my favourite, thanks for your recipe 🙂