Adding a little spice to your… kitchen :) Montreal Steak Seasoning

Now to know me, you’ll know I’m pretty frugal.  Not cheap; not by a long shot but I like knowing that I can re-create a dish I’ve had a restaurant just through taste or that if they prepackage something 99% of the time I can make it better than the original. Not really bragging, more like glad that I have this ‘gift’.  So about 3 years ago I had this steak (which is rare as I rarely eat steak) that was so amazing that I HAD to know how they made it.  Now to know me better you”d know that I’m a HUGE schmooze and flirt (but in a good way).  I believe in finding beauty in everything and giving compliments and praise.  I mean really, who doesn’t like to hear that they did a job well done or the dish they made was friggen fantastic?!

I got to chit chatting with the waiter who brought over the manager and we got to kibitzing (channeling my days when I hit up this Jewish bakery in Pittsburgh for Challah and the 9,000 the little old woman would correct me on my pronunciation).  We talked ‘shop’ and he informed me what the chef uses to season the steak.  It was this Montreal Steak Seasoning.  Yes.. the same stuff McCormick’s sells in the markets today.  If you haven’t tried it.. OH DEAR LORD!  It’s heavenly!  Put that in your burger or turkey burger.  You will sing praises to the heaven’s above!  No really, you will 🙂

Well the very next day I went out and bought a little jar of this stuff. I was hooked!  I poured some of it out onto a plate to inspect it. I can’t believe I’m going to admit this BUT…

I actually dissected it putting the same ingredients into separate piles.  I can’t help it.  The engineer in me has to know how it works.  Since there wasn’t a program for me to reverse engineer or a dish to unassemble, this was the best way I could figure out what was all in it.  Sure some of the stuff was pretty simple as you could disseminate visually however a few of the items you had to taste to figure it out.  I think that afternoon I ate 3 tablespoons of spice blend.  Yeah, it was NOT pretty.  It *almost* turned me off… *almost*.  This recipe took a while to put together however I think I got it pretty down pat.

Are those not the cutest labels ever?!

Adding a little spice to your... kitchen 🙂 Montreal Steak Seasoning

Rating

Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
Ingredients
  • 3 Tbl dehydrated garlic
  • 4 Tbl coarsely ground coriander seeds
  • 2 Tbl coarse kosher salt
  • 4 Tbl dill weed
  • 4 Tbl paprika
  • 3 Tbl ground red pepper flakes
  • 4 Tbl freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbl fennel seeds
Instructions
  1. Put all the items in a jar/container and shake vigorously.
  2. Store in a sealed container out of the light.

Montreal Steak Seasoning

And yes.. aren’t those the cutest little jars EVER?! My in-laws got me a set of them for my birthday. They are PERFECT for holding my own spice blends. I so love these cute little buggers!

37 Responses to “Adding a little spice to your… kitchen :) Montreal Steak Seasoning”

• Eva says:

Hi! Can you tell me what dehydrated garlic looks like? Is the McCormick Minced Garlic spice the same deal? I know it’s not like garlic powder but I’ve never been able to find dehydrated garlic as a standalone spice.

Would really appreciate it

• Danielle Bourgie says:

Hi, I’m glad to have found a homemade recipe for my husband’s favorite spice mix. Try this recipe: salmon rubbed with Montreal Steak spice and a bit of maple syrup. OMG. I never thought it would be this good.

Thank you so much Danielle! I love this spice mix too! Oh my husband would love the salmon like that! I’ll try it!

• KuslerAnita says:

Hi there! I just discovered this rockin’ site and I’m so glad I did! I just read your recipe and your description (ad lib?) to making the veggie burgers with the black beans and portobello’s! AND!!! Using your dynamite version of the famous “Montreal Steak Seasoning”! And damn! Do they ever look delish! I haven’t eaten red meat for 45 years! With my being a strict veg head at the very beginning but throughout the years slowly have incorporated the use of seafood and a little poultry!
    I can not wait to try both your seasoning and the veggie burgers~they sound insanely yummy!!!! Thank you, so much!!! Now….onto researching more of this site~the kitchen whisperer! ? Thanx again…??

Well thank you so much and welcome to the TKW Family! The veggies burgers are EPIC. I’d put them up against any ‘beef’ burger! I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on them!

• Clarisa says:

Girl! I’m making this tonight to go on steak (using your receipe of course) super excited and thank you for graciously sharing! You Rock!

Awesome Clarisa! I go through this stuff like it’s my job! I love this seasoning!

• Shannan says:

Ok so I checked it out and it looks like the real deal!! Good job girl!! Now ya gotta dissect their Chicken Seasoning cause that stuff rocks!! Lol I have two jars of each, steak, hamburger & chicken seasoning from McCormick so once I go through those, I’m hitting up this recipe!! Woohoo!!

HAHA! I’m working on the Chicken one. Thing is, the ingredients aren’t ‘normal grocery store’ items that it uses. I have to work hard on this one.

• Yonghee says:

I love making my own seasonings just so that I can use more spices and adjust the salt. I just tried this, and OH BOY this was amazing!!! Alone ate 1/2 pound of beef… You got it pretty much right on the dot!! THANKS

Well thank you so much Yonghee!!! I’m the same with you about making my own so I can adjust what I put in (especially the salt!).

This is probably one of my all time favorite spice blends. Not only is it awesome with beef but I use this exclusively in my turkey and chicken burgers. Try it in meatballs next time! Pure HEAVEN!

• Annette says:

Wow..what great timing! I love Schillings Montreal Steak Seasoning and was just going to go out and buy bottles of it because I’m having my son’s grad party this weekend and we’re doing a burger bar….I’m making this instead! Thanks!

Congratulations to you and your son! That’s an awesome idea with the burger bar! Are you going to be making different types (beef/turkey/chicken)? If so, this works AWESOME in both turkey and chicken!

• Michele says:

Girl… You are AMAZING !!!!

I love the things you come up with !!!!

*Giggle* Thanks Michele! I try to keep it all practical and stuff most people can use. What I love about this seasoning is that it’s good on chicken, beef, turkey or veggies. OMG… Take some portabella caps, add some olive oil, Worcestershire sauce and some of this seasoning to it then grill. OH DEAR HEAVEN! Vegetarians will go nuts with this!