Now it’s funny, growing up you couldn’t pay me to eat vegetables other than potatoes and corn. If you put an onion or mushroom in front of me you would have thought you set my baby doll on fire by how I reacted. LOL However as I got older and my taste buds evolved, I learned to appreciate those things in recipes for the depth of flavor that they added to a dish. And just like Brussels Sprouts, I realized that they well… didn’t suck. Huh… who knew? Mama was right all those years ago after all. They won’t kill me. Haha!
It was early Sunday morning and I had just returned home from the Butchers. It was one of those too early for lunch but kinda past breakfast time. Well okay it was like 10:30ish and I felt ‘guilty’ for wanting to make these as it’s not lunch food. But hey, it’s my kitchen and I can do what I want… right? LOL
“But vegetarian stuff isn’t supposed to be flavorful.” “Diet foods suck – no flavor, no taste… I might as well chew on a box.”
Yeah I used to have that mind set years ago and boy was I sure wrong! Those statements couldn’t be further from the truth. These lettuce spoons are one of my all time FAVORITE dishes to eat. They are light but hearty. You get full but without all of that bloated stuffed feeling (well okay you would get that if you ate like 42 of them in one sitting).
But with these lettuce spoons you will be thrilled you ate them and more importantly it’ll open your eyes to vegetarian eating. Now no, I’m not a vegetarian as I love meat. I mean seriously me give up bacon?
Ha Ha Ha… yeah um no.
But with the beans and the avocado in here you get your proteins plus tons of other nutrients and flavors. However if you’re like Mr. Fantabulous and require meat no matter what then by all means all in cooked chicken, beef, shrimp or even pork (and yes, I’ve tried it with all of them and they ROCK!). I, however, opted for cut up meats (like strips or cubes) versus ground meats. I didn’t want that texture. The shredded chicken and shredded pork… oh dear sweet baby Jesus! Talk about incredible!
So again it’s about 10:30am on a Sunday morning and as I make these Mr. Fantabulous pages me from the bedroom . See he thinks it’s “cute” to use the phone set and it’s intercom system to ‘page’ me while I’m in the other room. Half the time I ignore it as I’m in the midst of measuring, mixing or testing. However Sunday mornings are his own special time. He sleeps til 10ish, then lays in bed for another hour while his one show that he loves is on (some political thing that I’m soooooooooooo not into at all). And Sunday mornings always include breakfast in bed for him. Yeah I know “he’s so spoiled” but honestly it makes me happy knowing that he gets his ‘me’ time. Lord knows he gives me mine so turn about is fair play.
Any who, the intercom goes off and I answer “Kitchen, what would his majesty like for breakfast today?” *giggle* He chuckled and asked for the usual – dippy eggs, bacon, toast and juice. While my veggies were sauteing up I made his breakfast and took it into him as he laid on his tuffet. LOL
About 5 minutes later the intercom goes off and I answer “Kitchen, what else do you need cause I’m busy” <insert ‘leave me alone I’m busy tone’ here> LOL He goes “Hey, what’s that smell coming from the kitchen? It smells awesome and it’s not my breakfast.”
I told him I was working on a recipe and photo shoot. Big mistake…
Phone went silent and I hear him coming down the hair barefooted coming to see what that smell was. When he saw them he said “WOW! Those are gorgeous! What are they and can I try one?” Now mind you, he JUST finished breakfast but apparently this was ‘lunch’ food and since he didn’t have lunch yet he was hungry. *shakes her head* I’ll never understand it either. Fortunately I finished my shoot and he got distracted by the phone and I was able to sit and enjoy these all myself. So thank you Mr. Alexander Graham Bell for inventing the telephone. This is one dish I didn’t want to share! *wink*
So give this a try and I’m telling you, this will change your outlook on vegetarian foods. You don’t have to turn vegetarian to enjoy this. I’m not but this is one dish where you clearly will not miss the meat!
|Hearty Healthy Vegetarian Lettuce Spoons||
- 1 Tbl avocado oil (or evoo)
- 1/2 cup carrots cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup red pepper cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup orange pepper cut into matchsticks
- 1 large shallot cut into thin strips
- 2 cups crimini mushroom cut into 1/4” slices
- 1/2 cup corn kernals
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 avocado, pitted and cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 tsp FanFriggenTastic Fajita Seasoning
- 2 Tbl water
- 1/2 cup sharp shredded cheddar
- 12-16 Baby Hearts of Romaine Lettuce Leaves, end trimmed (can use bib lettuce if you can’t find this)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the avocado oil and heat until the oil begins to shimmer.
- Add in the carrots, peppers, shallot and mushrooms.
- Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add in the salt and continue sautéing for 3-4 more minutes or just until the vegetables begin to soften (you want them just slightly firm – not mushy).
- Add in the Fajita Seasoning and water and mix.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the corn and black beans stirring to combine.
- Cook for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Add in the cheese and stir to combine.
- Add in the avocado chunks, stirring in gently.
- Place 2-3 Tbl of the mixture in the spoon of the lettuce.
- Hold by the end and eat … like you’re eating off of a spoon except you can eat this spoon!