So I decided to revisit this recipe and make it even better. I’ve tweaked the recipe and figured out how to get that truly crispy outside with that tender potato love inside!
See the trick was to soak the potato wedges in ice water before I baked them.
By soaking them, some of the starches leech out into the water. The starch in potatoes hinders moisture from escaping, which leaves more water in the potato. Make sure to rinse the potatoes well after soaking (to remove the starch) and pat them completely dry before cooking. If you don’t dry them well, you just add even more moisture. Makes sense, huh?
I also adjusted the seasonings. See before I was adding the parmesan cheese to the spice mixture before I baked them. It was good but I wasn’t getting that cheese taste I wanted. By adding it to the hot potatoes the cheese seemed to ‘melt’ if you will into the skin. So good!
So if you want Crispy Baked Potato Wedges, THIS is the recipe you need! Trust me on this! I’m a tater expert!
Yes, I had taters for dinner. Just taters. Some days I just want simple and comforting. I don’t do this often as I prefer protein to veggies but every once in a blue moon I’ll splurge and just eat veggies for dinner – and no, we’re not talking about those greeny leafy things either.
I’m talkin’ ’bout good old fashioned taters. Now I know, “you need protein with every meal! You should know better!” Right, I do Mom buuuuuuuuuuuuuut considering I had nothing but protein for breakfast AND for lunch, I was protein overloaded.
I wanted something with substance that would leave my tummy happy and content. And again, it’s not an everyday type of thing but this was simple, quick and seriously so good!
Now normally when I make these, they are as a side dish when I attempt to grill (trust me, it’s NOT pretty when I grill). I can cook and bake like a banshee but you give me a grill and I can guarantee you either raw steaks or bricks for burgers! LOL
Do any of you want to swap training? You train me on the grill and I’ll train you to make bread or pastry? 😀
- 4 Large potatoes, washed and drained
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Wash & cut potatoes into wedges by cutting lengthwise in half then slice each half into 4 slices.
- Place potatoes in a bowl of water with about 2 cups of ice cubes.
- Let them stand for 30 min then pat dry with paper towels. This helps draw out the starch and helps make them crispier.
- Preheat oven to 450F with the rack in the middle.
- In a plastic bag, add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
- Add in the potato slices then the oil.
- Close the bag and shake to coat the slices evenly.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place the potatoes on there.
- Make sure they are in a single layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and the outsides are crispy.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and place in a large bowl.
- Add in the cheese and the parsley.
- Gently toss and serve.